Manuela Darling-Gansser (29 December 1950) is a writer of food and travel cookbooks, a contributor to lifestyle magazines and has appeared as a repeat guest on Australian television shows. She has written four books: Under The Olive Tree (2003), Autumn In Piemonte (2005), Winter In The Alps (2007) and TOP 10 Surviving In Style: Recipes and Instruction for the Beginner Home Chef (2008)
Manuela Darling-Gansser was born in the Italian speaking city of Lugano, Switzerland. She spent her early childhood living in Iran before returning to school in Zurich. Darling-Gansser has lived in Italy, the USA, Japan and currently lives with husband Michael Darling and three children Miranda, Jason and Daniel in Sydney, Australia. She is fluent in English, Italian, French, German and Swiss German, as well as being able to converse in Spanish and Persian.
Darling-Gansser is part of a long line of cooks beginning with her great grandfather who in 1882 opened Ristorante Biaggi in Lugano. Her grandfather Ettore Biaggi trained in hotels in London, Paris, and St Petersberg and had a weekly radio cooking show before taking over the family restaurant. Ristorante Biaggi's guests included the Aga Khan, Sir Austen Chamberlain, Benito Mussolini, General Guissan, Dolfuss, Mannerheim and King Farouk of Egypt. Professor Augusto Gansser-Biaggi, her father, is a renowned geologist whose book Geology of the Himalaya earned him the award of the Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society London.
Manuela Darling-Gansser along with Australian photographer Simon Griffiths has produced three food and travel books published by Hardie Grant Books:
Under The Olive Tree: Family and food in Lugano and the Costa Smeralda, Italy (2003)*^
Autumn In Piemonte: Food and travels in Italy's northwest (2005)^
Winter In The Alps: Food by the fireside (2007)
- *Winner of "The Ligare Book Printers Best Designed Cookbook" prize at the Australian Publishers Association 52nd Annual Book Design Awards, 2003.
- ^Has been translated into Dutch and published by Tirion
- Gourmet Traveller (AUS) Nov 2003, Feb 2006, May 2007, Vogue Entertaining + Travel Dec 2005, Jan 2006, July 2007, Hoofs & Horns Summer 2005, Woman's Weekly March 2007, Voi Tutti Issue 3 2005, The Weekend Australian 17-18 Dec 2005, 24 & 31 March 2007, Wentworth Courier 2 & 16 May 2007, The Age 22 Nov 2005, NW 18 July 2007, Australian Table July 2007, Hobart Mercury 28 March 2007, Good Reading May 2007, Courier Mail 10 April 2007, Weekender 16 Dec 2005, The Australian 17 Dec 2005, Sydney Weekly 3 May 2006, Eatdrink.com.au Nov 2005, Vive Dec 2003.
- Vogue Entertaining + Travel (Australia) May 2004, Nov 2004, Feb/March 2007, Fashion Capital 'Chadstone Launch Issue 2003', Vive Dec 2003, Jan 2004, Voi Tutti Issue7 2007, Issue 8 2007, Issue 9 2007, Sydney Morning Herald: Good Living 14 Nov 2006.
- Channel 9 Fresh TV program on 16 March 2007, 14 March 2007, 20 March 2007
- ISBN 1-74066-086-2
- ISBN 1-74066-308-X
- ISBN 1-74066-480-9
- ISBN 978-0-646-48419-8
- The Australian Publishers Association 52nd Annual Book Design Awards 2003 (McPherson's Printing Group:2004) p.28.