May 8, 1981 |
|Native name||Մանվել Գամբուրյան|
|Other names||The Pitbull, The Anvil|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||68.0 in (173 cm)|
|Fighting out of||North Hollywood, California, U.S.|
Glendale Fighting Club
S.K. Golden Boys
|Rank||Third dan black belt in Judo
Second dan black belt in Kyokushin Karate
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable relatives||Karo Parisyan, cousin|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Manvel "Manny" Gamburyan (Armenian: Մանվել Գամբուրյան; born May 8, 1981) is an Armenian mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC's Bantamweight division. A professional competitor since 1999, he was a cast member of Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter 5, and has also competed in the WEC and King of the Cage. He is the cousin of fellow fighter Karo Parisyan.
In May 1991, Gamburyan's family relocated from Armenia to the United States. Shortly after his arrival, he began training in judo at Gokor Chivichyan and Gene LeBell's Hayastan MMA Academy, quickly becoming one of the top judokan in the country, winning junior nationals less than two years later. He went on to win junior nationals eight times, the junior Olympics once, and was a member of the 2000 Junior World Team. Later, Gamburyan also began training in Kyokushin Karate at age of 15.
Mixed martial arts career
Gamburyan began his career in mixed martial arts in 1999 at the age of 17. He won his first four fights, then lost a decision to future UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk in 2001. Gamburyan's cousin Karo Parisyan nicknamed him "The Pitbull" for the tenacity he displayed in the fight.
The Ultimate Fighter
In 2007, Gamburyan appeared on the reality show The Ultimate Fighter 5, fighting on Jens Pulver's team. His nickname was changed to "Anvil" for his UFC career because "Pitbull" was already taken by other UFC fighters such as Andrei Arlovski and Thiago Alves.
In the semifinal round, Gamburyan beat Joe Lauzon in a unanimous decision and advanced to the finale with Nate Diaz. He was considered an underdog in each of his fights, in part due to his short stature. After the Lauzon fight, UFC president Dana White personally apologized to Gamburyan for doubting him. In the finale, Gamburyan controlled Diaz for the majority of the fight, but was forced to tap out in the second round due to punches after dislocating his right shoulder on an unsuccessful takedown attempt.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Despite losing the show, Gamburyan secured a UFC contract with his performance. He won his next two UFC fights, defeating Nate Mohr by ankle lock at UFC 79 and Jeff Cox by guillotine choke at UFC Fight Night 13. Gamburyan raised some controversy in the Cox fight by delivering a spinning leg kick after feigning the mutual tap of gloves that is often seen at the beginning of the match. The crowd in attendance reacted with heavy booing.
World Extreme Cagefighting
After his loss to Tavares, Gamburyan decided to drop down to the featherweight division and fight in the Zuffa-owned WEC.
Gamburyan was expected to face Diego Nunes on September 24, 2011 at UFC 135, but was forced to withdraw from the bout after suffering a shoulder injury. The bout ultimately took place at UFC 141 and Gamburyan lost via unanimous decision.
Gamburyan was expected to face Chad Mendes on February 23, 2013 at UFC 157. However, Gamburyan was forced out of the bout with a thumb injury. Mendes was then pulled from the card as a suitable replacement could not be found on short notice.
Gamburyan faced Dennis Siver on December 28, 2013 at UFC 168. He lost the fight via unanimous decision. Subsequently, Siver failed a post fight drug screening, testing positive for banned substances. As a result, the decision was changed to a "No Contest".
Gamburyan is also one of Ronda Rousey's main coaches.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- World Extreme Cagefighting
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||14 wins||8 losses|
|Win||14–8 (1)||Cody Gibson||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||2||4:56||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Loss||13–8 (1)||Nik Lentz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|NC||13–7 (1)||Dennis Siver||NC (overturned loss)||UFC 168||December 28, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Scored a unanimous decision loss; Overturned after Siver tested positive for hCG.|
|Win||13–7||Cole Miller||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||3||5:00||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||12–7||Michihiro Omigawa||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||3||5:00||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||11–7||Diego Nunes||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–6||Tyson Griffin||Decision (majority)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||11–5||José Aldo||KO (punches)||WEC 51||September 30, 2010||2||1:32||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||For WEC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||11–4||Mike Brown||KO (punches)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||1||2:22||Sacramento, California, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||10–4||Leonard Garcia||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 44||November 18, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–4||John Franchi||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 41||June 7, 2009||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States||Featherweight debut|
|Loss||8–4||Thiago Tavares||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 94||January 31, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Rob Emerson||KO (punches)||UFC 87||August 9, 2008||1||0:12||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||8–2||Jeff Cox||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Lauzon||March 2, 2008||1||1:41||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||7–2||Nate Mohr||Submission (achilles lock)||UFC 79||December 29, 2007||1||1:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||6–2||Nate Diaz||Submission (shoulder injury)||The Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale||June 23, 2007||2||0:20||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost The Ultimate Fighter 5|
|Win||6–1||Sammy Morgan||Decision (unanimous)||RSF: Shooto Challenge 2||January 2, 2004||3||5:00||Belleville, Illinois, United States|
|Win||5–1||Jorge Santiago||KO (punch)||KOTC 27: Aftermath||August 10, 2003||1||0:21||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Sean Sherk||Decision (unanimous)||Reality Submission Fighting 3||March 30, 2001||1||18:00||Belleville, Illinois, United States|
|Win||4–0||Pat Benson||Submission (guillotine choke)||Reality Submission Fighting 2||January 2, 2001||1||2:01||Belleville, Illinois, United States|
|Win||3–0||Darren Bryant||Submission (heel hook)||Kage Kombat 14||March 5, 1999||1||0:35||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Timothy Morris||Technical Submission (choke)||Kage Kombat 12||February 1, 1999||1||0:16||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Danny Henderson||Submission (armbar)||Kage Kombat 12||February 1, 1999||1||0:17||Los Angeles, California, United States|
- "Print Fight Card - UFC 178 Johnson vs. Cariaso". UFC.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Al Stover (August 10, 2013). "Manny Gamburyan will not hindered by injuries". cagepages.com.
- Gamburyan, Manvel. Interview with Manvel Gamburyan. Kevin and Bean. KROQ-FM, Los Angeles. 18 June 2007.
- Five Ounces of Pain - Interview with Manny Gamburyan
- ResuMMA.com - Manvel "The Anvil" Gamburyan Interview
- "Manny Gamburyan vs John Franchi on tap for WEC 41". mmamania.com. March 29, 2009.
- "WEC 44: Brown vs. Aldo results". www.wec.tv/index.cfmom. 2009-11-19.
- "Mike Brown vs Manvel Gamburyan on tap for WEC 48 on April 24". mmamania.com. February 3, 2010.
- "Aldo vs Faber Post-Fight Press Conference News and Notes". BLOODYELBOW.com. 2010-04-25. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber - Live Results and Commentary". BLOODYELBOW.com. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "ALDO VS. GAMBURYAN SET FOR WEC 51 MAIN EVENT". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-07-12.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Gamburyan vs. Assuncao Official For UFC 128". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-01-13.
- "Manvel Gamburyan Pulls Out Of UFC 128". mmafighting.com. February 25, 2011.
- "Erik Koch vs. Raphael Assuncao In The Works for UFC 128 in New Jersey". mmaweekly.com. February 26, 2011.
- "Tyson Griffin meets featherweight Manvel Gamburyan at UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. April 5, 2011.
- "Diego Nunes vs Manny Gamburyan fight announced for Sept. 24 in Denver". mmamania.com. July 22, 2011.
- "Injured Manny Gamburyan out of UFC 135 fight with Diego Nunes". mmajunkie.com. August 15, 2011.
- "Manny Gamburyan vs Diego Nunes Back On for UFC 141". mmaweekly.com. October 31, 2011.
- "Michihiro Omigawa vs. Manny Gamburyan in Place for UFC on FOX 4". mmafighting.com. May 19, 2012.
- Gordon, Grant (December 19, 2012). "Gamburyan to face Mendes at UFC 157". glendalenewspress.com.
- Pishna, Ken (2013-02-08). "Manny Gamburyan Forced Out of UFC 157; Chad Mendes Awaits New Opponent". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Staff (2013-02-08). "With no opponent, Chad Mendes off next week's UFC 157card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Ian Bain (March 19, 2013). "UFC on FX 8 adds Dias-Gamburyan". mmaopionion.co.uk. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Staff (2013-03-25). "Nik Lentz replaces Manvel Gamburyan, meets Hacran Dias at UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Staff (2013-06-12). "Manny Gamburyan vs. Cole Miller Added to UFC on Fox Sports 1 Event in Boston". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- Staff (September 25, 2013). "Dennis Siver vs. Manny Gamburyan added to UFC 168". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Staff (April 24, 2014). "UFC's Dennis Siver fined and suspended for failed drug test, win overturned". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- Staff (February 20, 2014). "Manny Gamburyan vs. Nik Lentz added to UFC Fight Night in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Grant Gordon (2014-09-27). "Manny Gamburyan squeezes out dramatic UFC 178 win over Cody Gibson". glendalenewspress.com. Retrieved 2014-09-27.
- Staff (2015-01-08). "Manny Gamburyan vs. Aljamain Sterling added to UFC on FOX 15 in April". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-08.
- Anvil Official website
- Official UFC Profile
- Professional MMA record for Manvel Gamburyan from Sherdog
- The Ultimate Fighter 5 Bio