|Construction started||October 2007|
|Completed||Opened 10th June 2012|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Ssentoogo & Partners|
The skyscraper is located on Kampala Road, the main business street in Kampala. This location lies within the central business district of Uganda's capital city (pop.1,659,600). The coordinates of Mapeera House are:0°18'52.0"N, 32°34'42.0"E (Latitude:0.314444; Longitude:32.578333).
Mapeera House is named after Father Siméon Lourdel (1853–1890), also referred to in French as Mon Pere. The Baganda changed that to Mapeera. He was the first Catholic Priest to set foot in Uganda in 1879. Mapeera House serves as the headquarters of Centenary Bank, the fourth-largest bank in Uganda, and the second-largest indigenous commercial bank in the country, by assets. The bank also maintains its main branch at this location. The building consists of 17,000 square metres (180,000 sq ft) of office space, most of it available for rent to qualified tenants, raising income for the bank. The nineteen-storey building also has 16,000 square metres (170,000 sq ft) of underground parking space, enough to accommodate up to about 100 vehicles.
The idea to construct Mapeera House was the brainchild of the Late Cardinal Emmanuel Kiwanuka Nsubuga (1914–1991), the second Ugandan to be consecrated Cardinal of the Catholic Church. He died before his dream was realised. In October 2007, after ten years of planning, a ground-breaking ceremony was held at the present location, presided over by Cardinal Emmanuel Wamala. Roko Construction Limited, a Ugandan construction company was contracted to construct the building at an estimated cost of approximately US$30 million (USh75 billion). The building was commissioned on 10 June 2012, by Yoweri Museveni, the president of Uganda. At completion, the construction costs had increased to US$40 million (UGX:100 billion).
- Google, . "Location of Mapeera House At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Father Stefaan, Minnaert (18 July 2007). "Brief History of Father Simeon Lourdel (Mapeera)". Rome Italy: AfricaMission-MAfr.org. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Asset Allocation Among Commercial Banks In Uganda
- Businge, Julius (12 June 2012). "Museveni Opens US$40 Million Centenary Office". The Independent (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Sanya, Samuel (12 June 2012). "Museveni Opens Sh100 Billion Mapeera House". New Vision Mobile. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Catholic, Hierarchy. "Emmanuel Kiwanuka Cardinal Nsubuga † (Deceased)". Catholic-Hierarchy.Org. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Nsambu, Hillary (7 October 2007). "Mapeera House Project Takes Off". New Vision. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- CRO, . (7 May 2013). "Mapeera House: Newest Jewel of Kampala Capital City". Construction Review Online (CRO). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Newvision, Reporter (September 2011). "Mapeera House: A landmark In Banking". New Vision Mobile. Retrieved 7 July 2014.