Mappillai (2011 film)
|Produced by||Nemichand Jhabak
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Cinematography||S. R. Sathish Kumar|
|Editing by||Kishore Te.|
|Distributed by||Sun Pictures|
|Box office||40 crores worldwide|
Mappillai (English: Son-in-law) is a 2011 Tamil action masala film directed by Suraj, starring Dhanush as the son-in-law and Manisha Koirala as the mother-in-law with Hansika Motwani, in her Tamil debut, playing her daughter. The film is a remake of the 1989 film of the same name, which incidentally starred Dhanush's father-in-law, Rajinikanth, in the lead role which itself was a remake of Chiranjeevi starrer Telugu film Athaku Yamudu Ammayiki Mogudu. Distributed by Sun Pictures, it was released on 8 April 2011. Despite largely mixed reviews, the film had a good opening but eventually became an above average grosser.
Saravanan is a do-gooder, who is soft-spoken and admired by one and all. He comes across Gayathri (Hansika Motwani), daughter of arrogant business woman Rajeshwari and falls for her.
Coming to know of their affair, Rajeshwari decides to get them both married. The reason is- she is keen on getting a son-in-law, who will always do what she wants and be under her control.
But she is in for a shock when she comes to know that Saravanan has a past. He is a ruffian and is feared by one and all. Now she plans to halt all plans, while Saravanan takes up the challenge and ensures that he end up marrying his lady love.
It’s now a cat and mouse game between Saravanan and Rajeshwari. Then there is one Child Chinna (Vivek), with his own set of friends (including ‘Cell’ Murugan), who is desperately behind Gayathri and tries to win over her love.
- Dhanush as Saravanan
- Hansika Motwani as Gayathri
- Manisha Koirala as Rajeshwari
- Vivek as Child Chinna/James Pandiyan/Youth
- Ashish Vidyarthi as Devaraj
- Sathyan Sivakumar as Wild/bulky
- Madhan Bob
- Chitti Babu
- Pattimandram Raja as Saravanan's father
- Sri Ranjani
- Kadhal Thandapandi
The film was largely panned by critics, who unanimously agreed that the film was a poor remake. Rohit Ramachandran of nowrunning.com gave it 0.5/5 stating that the film was "fodder for the low intellect" and "the perfect example of people selling themselves cheap for a lot of money." Behindwoods.com gave 1.5 out of 5 giving the verdict "this Mappillai entertains in parts" and stating "Mapillai suffers from weak characterization." Rediff gave 2 out of 5 describing it a "bad copy of the original", further adding that it was "just spice, humour, and plenty of silliness thrown in for good old entertainment", while Sify stated that "it was a sloppy remake". Kollywood Today said that it was "a worst remake" and that there was "no good reason you must watch ‘Mappillai’. The film proves to be a below average fare and you better enjoy the IPL season instead of wasting your time here." Times of India gave 1 out of 5 and stated that "If you are among those for whom 'Mappillai' holds a lot of nostalgia, give the latest version a miss. Rent a DVD of the older version to avoid any disappointment."
The film got a big opening, collecting 16 crores in the opening weekend in Indian territory itself. While some anaylists have declared it as "average", few others declared it as the "first big summer hit". The films final overall collection was reported as 40 crores.
|Soundtrack album to Mapillai by Mani Sharma|
|Released||11 March 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
The soundtrack is scored by Mani Sharma. Audio was launched on 11 March 2011 at Kamarajar Arangam with Jayam Ravi and Bharath participating as guests, telecasted on Sun TV on 27 March 2011. The audio was marketed by Sony Music.
|1.||"Aaru Padai"||Viveka||Vijay Yesudas & Mukesh||04:56|
|2.||"Love Love (not featured in the film)"||Snehan||Rahul Nambiar & Rita||04:41|
|3.||"Onnu Rendu"||Pa. Vijay||Mukesh & Saindhavi||04:23|
|4.||"Ready Readya"||Snehan||Ranjith & Saindhavi||04:31|
|5.||"Ennoda Raasi*"||Gangai Amaran||Ranjith||04:26|
|6.||"Ready Readya (Remix)"||Snehan||Ranjith||03:45|
- "Manisha is Dhanush's mom-in-law". Indiaglitz. 20 January 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- top ten april, Behindwoods.com, retrieved 16 September 2011
- mappillai review, nowrunning.com, 8 April 2011, retrieved 16 September 2011
- "mappillai review". nowrunning.com.
- "MAPPILLAI MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Mappillai is a bad copy of the original". Rediff.com. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- 'Mappillai' a sloppy remake, Sify.com, 10 April 2011, retrieved 16 September 2011
- 9 April 2011 (2011-04-09). "Review - Mappillai". Kollywood Today. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- N Venkateswaran, TNN, 16 Apr 2011, 01.11PM IST (2011-04-16). "Mappillai movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Mappillai takes a super opening, 13 April 2011, retrieved 16 September 2011
- Mappillai Box Office Collections, 12 April 2011, retrieved 16 September 2011
- "Mappillai - Behindwoods.com - Tamil Top Ten Movies - Mappillai Ko Vaanam". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "audio launch telecasting". 23 March 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Dhanush's Mappillai audio launched". Sify.com. 13 March 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.