Mara Brock Akil
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
|Mara Brock Akil|
May 27, 1970 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Other names||Mara Brock Ali or Mara Brock
|Years active||1994 - present|
|Spouse(s)||Salim Akil (1999 - present)|
Muslim American born in Los Angeles, California, Brock Akil was raised primarily in Kansas City. She is a graduate of Raytown South High School in 1988. She is also a graduate of Northwestern University, where she earned a bachelor's degree in journalism and is a member of Delta Sigma Theta sorority.
Brock Akil first began her career in 1994 writing for the critically acclaimed but short-lived Fox series South Central. In 1999, she served as supervising producer and writer on The Jamie Foxx Show after writing for Moesha for four seasons. In 2000, Brock Akil created and executive produced (along with Kelsey Grammer) another UPN series Girlfriends. She also created and executive produced the spin-off series The Game.
In June 2007, Brock Akil and her husband signed to The Weinstein Co. Their first project under the new pact will be a film about a woman who starts a business to investigate the mates of high-powered women after she herself is left at the altar. Mara Brock Akil will write the screenplay and Salim Akil will direct, reports Variety. The pair’s Happy Camper Productions banner will produce.
In 2012, Brock Akil became a producer and writer for BET's Being Mary Jane.
She married television director Salim Akil in 1999. She and her husband are practicing Sufi Muslims. They have two sons; Yasin Brock Akil, born in 2007 and Nasir Brock Akil, born in November 2009   She is also sister to Kara Brock Bustos.
Awards and nominations
|2005||BET Comedy Awards||Won||Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series||Girlfriends|
|2007||NAACP Image Awards||Nominated||Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series||Girlfriends
(For episode "After the Storm")
- Fischer, Rachel (2000-12-27). "Brock Akil In Creative Leap With 'girlfriends'". allbusiness.com. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Zeitchik, Steven (2007-06-18). "Akil pair sign with Weinstein Co.". variety.com. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "She's got 'Game'". kansascity.com. 2006-09-29. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Byrd, Kenya N. (2008-11-11). "Mara Brock Akil: Mother’s Day". essence.com. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- http://photos.essence.com/galleries/mara-brock-akils-babyshower#127359_7356 Mara Brock Akil Babyshower