|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|English · Hindi|
|Assamese · Bengali · Bhojpuri · Gujarati · Kamtapuri (Rajbangshi) · Kannada · Maithili · Malayalam · Marathi · Oriya · Punjabi · Tamil · Telugu · Urdu|
The Marathi language television industry was started in India in 1984. Although earlier confined to a half an hour slot in the national television Doordarshan, the industry has now expanded with many commercial TV channels currently on air. Various dedicated categories like news and movies have been added and have considerably expanded the horizon of Marathi TV entertainment.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Slot programming (1984-1998)
- 1.2 First TV channel (1998-1999)
- 1.3 Advent of the private channels (1999-2001)
- 1.4 Peak period (2001-2002)
- 1.5 Stability (2002-2006)
- 1.6 ETV Marathi (ई टीवी मराठी) (2000)
- 1.7 Mi Marathi (मी मराठी) (2007)
- 1.8 News boom (2007) वृत्त वाहिन्या
- 1.9 SAAM TV (2008) साम टि.व्ही (२००८)
- 1.10 Star Pravah (2008) स्टार प्रवाह
- 1.11 Cinema Channel (2007) चित्रपट वाहिनी
- 2 झी टॉकीज ZEE TALKIES
- 3 DTH availability legend
- 4 Digital Cable TV availability legend
- 5 List of channels
- 6 Upcoming channels
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Slot programming (1984-1998)
Marathi Programming on TV started in 1972 on the state-owned Doordarshan channel. Originally confined to a half-an-hour slot, it remained a Doordarshan programme till 1998, when it was increased to a three hour slot a day.
First TV channel (1998-1999)
Advent of the private channels (1999-2001)
Zee Marathi was an instant and a phenomenal success, for it addressed a cross section of the Marathi diaspora.
Peak period (2001-2002)
Since 2002, both Prabhat TV and Tara were shut down. Other three channels, DD-Sahyadri, Zee Marathi and Etv Marathi, stabilised.
ETV Marathi (ई टीवी मराठी) (2000)
ETV Marathi was started in 2000 by Hyderabad based Mr. Ramoji Rao.
Mi Marathi (मी मराठी) (2007)
Mi Marathi started broadcasting from Mumbai by Shri Adhikari Brothers. Its title song became popular in no time.
News boom (2007) वृत्त वाहिन्या
The Marathi Television got its first round-the-clock news channel in the form of Zee 24 Taas in the year 2007.
In next year i.e. in 2009, TV9 Maharashtra launched.
On 1'st May 2013 another channel launched namely Jai Maharashtra by Mumbai based media group Sahana Films. It's fifth Marathi news channel.
SAAM TV (2008) साम टि.व्ही (२००८)
SAAM TV started in 2008 from Pune based Media group Sakal.
Star Pravah (2008) स्टार प्रवाह
Star TV started its GEC Star Pravah in 2008 with flagship serial Raja Shivachhatrapati on the life of Chhtrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Star Pravah is quickly gaining popularity. The channel's official website mentions it as 'Maharashtra's most preferred channel'.
Cinema Channel (2007) चित्रपट वाहिनी
झी टॉकीज ZEE TALKIES
Marathi got its first round-the-clock Marathi movie channel in the form of Zee Talkies in November 2007.
Infotainment Channel (2011)
Music Channel (2011)
9X Jhakaas is the first 24-hour Marathi Music TV channel. The channel was launched on 31 October 2011.
Prabhat: Marathi film star Ajinkya Deo was also the 'Executive Director' of Prabhat Entertainment TV channel Launched in March 2001. The channel was closed in 2002.
Tara Marathi: Launched in March 2002, closed in 2003.
DTH availability legend
- TS: Tata Sky
- BG: Reliance Digital TV
- VD: Videocon D2H
- AT: Airtel Digital TV
- SN: Sun Direct
- DS: Dish TV
- DD: Free Dish
- Online/Internet: Online/Internet
- ALL: All the above service providers (excluding DD)
Digital Cable TV availability legend
List of channels
- Zee Marathi - ALL
- STAR Pravah - ALL
- ETV Marathi - ALL
- DD Sahyadri - ALL, DD
- Saam TV - VD,DS,AT,BG,TS
- ABP Majha - ALL
- IBN-Lokmat - ALL,
- Zee 24 Taas - DS,VD,TS,AT, BG
- Jai Maharashtra - TS, DS
- TV9 MARATHI - You Tube - YT - DS
- Mi Marathi News - ALL
- C NEWS - IN
- 9x Jhakaas - First Marathi music channel - VD, AT (LCN:547),DS, TS (LCN:798)
- MaiBoli  - Marathi Comedy & Music channel - AT Started in Nov. 2013 - AT,DS
- Ashirwad Marathi TV
- Samay Maharashtra / Gujarat - Marathi & Gujarati.
- TV9 Mumbai - Marathi news channel for Maharashtra.
- Radio channels
- Akashvani Marathi (SW/AM)
- Akashvani Mumbai GOLD (100.7 FM)
- Akashvani Mumbai Rainbow (107.1 FM)
- AAPLE FM 91.9 SANGLI MIRAJ
- Green FM 904 (Marathi 24 hrs for Sangli & Miraj City only)
- Radio Dhamaka 97.5 FM
- Radio Amcha Baana 96.4 FM
- Zakkaaas Fm 103.5 FM Ekdum Zakkass
- Radio Vishwas 90.8 FM ((Mixed) for Nashik City only)
- List of television stations based in Mumbai
- मराठी दूरचित्रवाणी वाहिन्यांची यादी
- मराठी दूरचित्रवाहिन्या
- वर्ग:मराठी भाषा
- वर्ग:भारतातील दूरचित्रवाणी वाहिन्या
- Zee Marathi's, Zee Talkies & Zee 24 Taas official site
- Viacom18's Sonic - official site
- “MAIBOLI” – new Marathi Humor & Music Channel by Shri Adhikari Brothers Group’s