14 March 1888|
|Died||2 March 1970
Marc-Aurèle Fortin (March 14, 1888 – March 2, 1970) was a Québécois painter.
Marc-Aurèle Fortin was born in 1888 in Ste-Rose, Quebec. He studied art in Montreal. He worked at the Montreal Post Office and at an Edmonton bank. He studied art abroad. He was known for painting watercolour landscapes of the St. Lawrence Valley. He travelled around the St. Lawrence Valley by bicycle. Fortin believed that "Canadian artists should take their inspiration from the countryside and progress towards a national art... We should excel in landscapes, exactly as the French do".
He was part of the first Atelier exhibition at Henry Morgan Galleries in April 1932 together with Atelier founder John Goodwin Lyman, André Biéler, and Edwin Holgate. Fortin was exhibited by Galerie L'Art français from the 1940s.
On 22 May 1981 Canada Post issued 'Marc-Aurèle Fortin' designed by Pierre Fontaine in the Canadian Art series. The stamps are based on a painting "À la Baie Saint-Paul" (1937), by Marc-Aurèle Fortin in the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, Québec, Quebec. The 17¢ stamps are perforated 12.5 and were printed by Ashton-Potter Limited.
The electoral district Marc-Aurèle-Fortin is named in his honour. He was designated a National Historic Person by the federal environment minister, on advice of the national Historic Sites and Monuments Board.
- "Dimanche à l'Ile Sainte-Hélène", Musée du Québec, exhibition not dated.
- "Collections d'Artistes", Place des Arts, Montreal, 1979;
- "Esthétiques modernes", National Gallery of Canada, 1982, cat. no. 12, box no. 1;
- Musée Marc-Aurèle, Exhibition 24-01-84 to 24-04-84, P-20;
- Marc-Aurèle Fortin Retrospective Exhibition, Samir Sammoun, October 2003-January 2004
- Marc-Aurèle Fortin Retrospective Exhibition, Galerie Walter Klinkhoff, September 2006, no. 13.
- Marc-Aurèle Fortin, McMichael Canadian Art Collection, Kleinburg, Ontario, July 2011
- Reid, Dennis (1973). A Concise History of Canadian Painting. Toronto: Oxford University Press. p. 201. ISBN 0195402065.
- "L'Art Français in Montreal", Gallery Profile, in Le Collectionneur, Vol.1, n°2, 1978
- "Members since 1880". Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Canada Post stamp
- Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, new designations, March 21, 2011
- Fondation Marc-Aurèle Fortin
- Marc-Aurèle Fortin at The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal