Marc B. Shapiro
Marc B. Shapiro (Hebrew: מלך שפירא, born 1966) holds the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Chair in Judaic Studies at the University of Scranton and is the author of various books and articles on Jewish history, philosophy, and theology. His writings often challenge the bounds of the conventional Orthodox understanding of Judaism using academic methodology while adhering to Modern Orthodox sensibilities. Shapiro's writings are also known for citing many obscure sources. His books Between the Yeshiva World and Modern Orthodoxy and The Limits of Orthodox Theology were both National Jewish Book Award finalists. Shapiro is a popular scholar-in-residence and on-line lecturer for Torah in Motion, for which he also leads Jewish history tours to Europe. He often writes for the Seforim Blog.
Shapiro received his BA at Brandeis University and his PhD at Harvard University, where he was the last PhD student of the late Prof. Isadore Twersky. He received rabbinical ordination from Rabbi Ephraim Greenblatt. His father is Edward S. Shapiro who has published books on American Jewish history.
- Between the Yeshiva World and Modern Orthodoxy: The Life and Works of Rabbi Jehiel Jacob Weinberg, 1884-1966 (London, 1999)
- The Limits of Orthodox Theology: Maimonides' Thirteen Principles Reappraised (Oxford, 2004)
- Saul Lieberman and the Orthodox (Scranton, 2006)
- Studies in Maimonides and His Interpreters (Scranton, 2008)
- Changing the Immutable: How Orthodox Judaism Rewrites Its History (scheduled for December 2014)
- Ed. Kitvei Ha-Gaon Rabbi Yechiel Yaakov Weinberg, 2 vols (Scranton, 1999, 2004)
- Shapiro posts at the Seforim Blog
- Shapiro lecture at Yeshiva University - A Non-Orthodox Traditional Approach: Reflections on the Authority of the Moroccan Rabbinate
- Shapiro lecture - Sephardic and Ashkenazic Approaches to Halakhah
- Shapiro lecture - Rabbi Ovadiah Yosef and the Revival of Sephardic Halakhah
- Shapiro lecture - Eliezer Berkovits' Halakhic Vision for the Modern Age
- Shapiro lecture - Some Recent Discussions of Jewish Dogma
- Shapiro lecture - Some Recent Discussions of Jewish Dogma (video)
- Shapiro lecture - The Steipler (video)
- Shapiro lecture - Must a Jew Believe Anything? (video)
- Shapiro lecture - Have the Rabbis Always Been Honest With Their Readers? (video)
- Marc B. Shapiro lectures at Torah in Motion
- Marc B. Shapiro archive at YU Torah Online
- "Response to a Hagiographer's Review"
- "בענין גילוח בחול המועד"
- "The Moroccan Rabbinic Conferences"
- "Glatt Kosher is Not All It is Cut Out To Be"
- "המחלוקת על הרבנות בפרנקפורט"
- "Mi-Yosef ad Yosef Lo Kam ke-Yosef"
- "?האם יש מקום להתיר את הפלגש"
- "Talmud Study in the Modern Era: From Wissenschaft and Brisk to Daf Yomi"
- "נשים במרוקו - עדותו של הרב שלמה משאש זצ"ל"
- "'Confrontation': A Mixed Legacy"
- "The Lithuanian Yeshivot: Yesterday and Today"
- "Of Books and Bans"
- "בענין לימוד תורה בליל ניטל"
- Review of David Zohar's book on R. Hayyim Hirschensohn
- "אודות הפולמוס בענין אתרוגי קורפו"
- "Rabbi Jehiel Jacob Weinberg on the Limits of Halakhic Development"
- "Maimonides Thirteen Principles: The Last Word in Jewish Theology?"
- "Rabbi Esriel Hildesheimer's Program of Torah u-Madda"
- "Rabbi David Zevi Hoffmann on Torah and Wissenschaft"
- "Scholars and Friends: Rabbi Jehiel Jacob Weinberg and Professor Samuel Atlas"
- "Torah im Derekh Eretz in the Shadow of Hitler"
- "Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch and Friedrich von Schiller"
- "Mainstreaming Talmud"
- כתבי הגאון רבי יחיאל יעקב וויינברג, חלק א
- כתבי הגאון רבי יחיאל יעקב וויינברג, חלק ב
- "אגרת בקורת על ישיבת אייזנשטט"
- "Rabbi Joseph Messas"
- "האם מותר להכנס לכנסיה"
- Review Essay of Avi Sagi and Zvi Zohar, Transforming Identity
- Review of Shaul Stampfer, Families, Rabbis and Education
- Review of Hayim Tawil and Bernard Schneider, Crown of Aleppo
- "האם יש חיוב להאמין שהזוהר נכתב על ידי רבי שמעון בן יוחאי"
- "Is a Jesuit Good for the Jews?"
- Review of Eliiyahu Stern, The Genius: Elijah of Vilna and the Making of Modern Judaism
- "Author Challenges Rambam's Principles"
- Credo 13 television series
- Rabbi Daniel Korobkin's interview with Shapiro
- Jewish Press interview
- Luke Ford's excerpts from Shapiro's lectures and blogs
- Yiddish site devoted to Shapiro
- Marc B. Shapiro's website