Photo by Jalylah Burrell
|Birth name||Marc Anthony Cary|
January 29, 1967 |
New York City
|Origin||New York, New York|
|Associated acts||Sameer Gupta|
Marc Cary (born January 29, 1967) is a post bop jazz pianist based out of New York City. Cary has played and recorded with several well-known musicians, including Dizzy Gillespie, Betty Carter, Arthur Taylor, Abbey Lincoln, Carlos Garnett, Erykah Badu, Meshell Ndegeocello, Stefon Harris, Lauryn Hill, Ani DiFranco, Jackie McLean, and Carmen McRae.
Cary grew up playing on the go-go music scene in Washington, D.C. He eventually moved to New York City, and it was through his work with Abbey Lincoln that broad audiences were first introduced to his rhythmic style, which draws on the influence of Randy Weston and McCoy Tyner.
- Marc Cary Focus Trio· Four Directions Motéma Music · Release Date: October 8, 2013
- "For the Love of Abbey" (solo) - release date June 11, 2013
- AbStraKt|BlaK - with Shon 'Chance' Miller (Motéma Music 2006)
- FOCUS - with the Marc Cary's Focus Trio (Sameer Gupta & David Ewell) (Motéma Music 2006)
- N.G.G.R. Please - with Indigenous People (Jazzateria 2003)
- Trillium - w/ Nasheet Waits and Taurus Mateen200 Billboard/BET Award (Jazzateria 2000)
- Rhodes Ahead (Jazzateria 2000)
- Captured Live in Brazil with Indigenous People (Jazzateria 1999)
- The Anitdote (Arabesque 1998)
- Listen (Arabesque 1997)
- Cary On (Enja 1995)
With David Murray
- Be My Monster Love (Motéma, 2013)
Honors and awards
- Best New Jazz Artist Award 2000—Billboard/BET
- Grammy Nominations for work with Roy Hargrove, Betty Carter & Abbey Lincoln
- One of Downbeat Magazine's "25 for the future of Jazz!"
- Nammy Nomination 2003
- Feather, Leonard & Gitler, Ira (2007). The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz, p116. Oxford University Press.
- Adler, David R. "Marc Cary Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
- Russonello, Giovanni. "Photos | Marc Cary at Bohemian Caverns: Believing in the groove (and out)". CapitalBop. Retrieved 10 May 2012. http://www.capitalbop.com/2011/04/26/photos-marc-cary-at-bohemian-caverns-believing-in-the-groove/