Mariani at 2014 Titans training camp
No. 80 Chicago Bears
|Wide receiver / Return Specialist|
|Date of birth:May 2, 1987|
|Place of birth: Havre, Montana|
|High school: Havre High School|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 7 / Pick: 222|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Tennessee Titans|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
Marc Steven Mariani (born May 2, 1987) is an American football wide receiver and return specialist for the Chicago Bears. He played college football for the University of Montana, and was drafted in the 7th round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
Havre High School
Mariani attended Havre High School where he was awarded 10 letters: three each in football and basketball and four in tennis. He was named all-state at wide receiver. In his senior season he had 48 receptions for 1,237 yards and 16 touchdowns.
He served as a team captain as a senior in football. His 2004 football team was 12–0 and the state “A” champion. He participated in Montana’s annual East-West Shrine Game.
Mariani, a walk on at Montana in 2005, did not play football his first year. In 2006 Mariani played in all 14 games and had eight tackles on special teams. He did not have a reception as a receiver. In 2007 Mariani saw action in 11 games with three starts. His first touchdown came against Northern Colorado when he caught a 27-yard pass in the second quarter. Mariani finished the season with 15 catches for 231 yards and one touchdown. He also led the Big Sky and was 11th in the FCS in punt returns. As a junior in 2008 Mariani started all 16 games and caught 69 balls for 1,308 yards with a career-best 15 touchdowns. His Best game came against Southern Utah when he tied a school record with 4 touchdowns. He set a school record with 2,265 all-purpose yards, which is the fifth most in Big Sky Conference history. He led the Big Sky in punt returns, averaging 16.22 an attempt, which ranked him fourth in the nation. He was a first team All-Big Sky picks at both wide receiver and a returner. He was named second team All-American by the Sports Network. His best season came in 2009 when he caught 80 passes for 1,479 yards and 13 touchdowns. His 1,479 receiving yards set a single-season record at Montana. Mariani led the conference with seven 100-yard receiving games and in multiple touchdown games with 4. He was a unanimous All-Big Sky pick at wide receiver, a second team selection as a return specialist and was named a first team All-American by the Associated Press. His best game came against South Dakota State when he gained 389 all-purpose yards, the second highest total in Big Sky single-game history; he caught 12 balls for 171 yards and 2 touchdowns, returned four kickoffs for 178 yards and 40 yards from 6 punt returns.
Mariani finished his college career as one of the most successful receivers in the college's history with records in career receiving yards (3,018), receiving touchdowns (29) and career all-purpose yards (5,441). Mariani played college football with Jeff Fisher's son Brandon who was a linebacker on the team.
Mariani was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the 7th round of the 2010 NFL Draft and later signed a 4-year deal with the team. In week 4, he returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. In week 11, he returned a punt 87 yards for a touchdown against the Washington Redskins. Mariani was selected to the 2011 Pro Bowl as a return specialist for the AFC. Mariani set two Pro Bowl records in the 2011 Pro Bowl: number of returns and total return yards for a game.
Mariani missed the entire 2012 season after he broke his leg on a first-quarter punt return in the third game of the preseason against the Arizona Cardinals. He was released during final cuts on August 29, 2014.
Oilers/Titans franchise records
- Most kick return yards in a single season: 1,530 (2010)
- Most kickoff returns: 61 (2010)
Pro Bowl records
- Most kickoff return yards in a single game: 326 (2011)
- Most returns in a single game: 9 (2011)
- [dead link]
- Tennessee Titans: Marc Mariani. Titansonline.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-05.
- Marc Mariani Stats, Splits, News, Photos - Montana Grizzlies - NCAA College Football - ESPN. Sports.espn.go.com (1987-05-02). Retrieved on 2010-12-05.
- Mariani gets four-year deal. Fantasysp.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-05.
- Titans reach deals with two more picks | Titans Insider. Blogs.tennessean.com (2010-06-15). Retrieved on 2010-12-05.
- Titans lose ugly game to 'Skins in overtime. TNJN (2010-11-22). Retrieved on 2010-12-05.
- Walker, Teresa M. (1977-10-16). "Mariani, Babin Selected for 2011 Pro Bowl". Titansonline.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Alper, Josh. "Titans release Marc Mariani on way to 53 players". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Mayer, Larry (November 18, 2014). "Bears sign return specialist Mariani". Chicago Bears. Retrieved November 18, 2014.