|Known for||Political thinker and academic|
Marc Stears (born 1971) is a British political thinker and Professor of Political Theory and Fellow of University College, Oxford. His published works have focussed mainly on the development of progressive political movements in the UK and the USA. He is a leading thinker in the Blue Labour movement. Currently Ed Miliband's chief speechwriter.
Raised in South Wales, Stears became first interested in the impact of politics and political systems on people's lives from an early age and went on to read Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Following positions at Nuffield College, Oxford, the University of Bristol and Emmanuel College, Cambridge Stears became University Lecturer in Political Theory and Director of the Centre for Political Ideologies at University College, Oxford. In 2011 he became a member of the Institute for Public Policy Research, looking particularly at the relationship between the state and society.
Stears is one of the editors of the "The Labour tradition and the politics of paradox" along with Maurice Glasman, Jonathan Rutherford and Stuart White. This book came out of a series of seminars in Oxford and London, which seek to find a new direction for the Labour Party after its 2010 electoral defeat.
- Progressives, Pluralists, and the Problems of the State: Ideologies of Reform in the United States and Britain, 1909-1926, (OUP, 2006)
- Political Theory: Methods and Approaches (OUP, 2008) (co-editor with David Leopold)
- Demanding Democracy: American Radicals in Search of a New Politics (Princeton, 2010)
- United Kingdom. "Dr Marc Stears". Univ.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- Stears, Marc, "Progressives, Pluralists, and the Problems of the State: Ideologies of Reform in the United States and Britain, 1909-1926", 2006
- Stears, Marc, "Defending Democracy: American Radicals in Search of a New Politics", 2010
- Grady, Helen (2011-03-21). "BBC News - Blue Labour: Party's radical answer to the Big Society?". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "Interviews with Oxonians". Rss.oucs.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "Marc Stears > Visiting Fellow". IPPR. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "The Labour tradition and the politics of paradox". The Oxford London Seminar. 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-25.