Marc Zender is a Mayan anthropologist. He is known for his contributions to the study of Mayan society and language. He was a Lecturer, at Harvard University's Department of Anthropology, and a Research Associate at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. Marc is known for decoding several Mayan hieroglyphs and translating them. As of Fall 2011 he was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Tulane University and is teaching Classical Nahuatl, Intermediate Mayan Hieroglyphics, and History of Writing. He has been featured in a documentary on Mayan civilization that ran on cable television.
Dr. Zender is also known for teaching a class in the summer of 2009 about the languages of The Lord of the Rings under the name of "Tolkien as a Translator" at Harvard.
Dr. Zender was raised in Canada and attended high school in Brampton, Ontario.
- ""Ahk'ab: Darkness and the Night among the Classic Maya," a talk by Marc Zender // Roger Thayer Stone Center For Latin American Studies at Tulane University". Stonecenter.tulane.edu. 2011-09-09. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Research - Who is Who - Marc U. Zender". WAYEB. 2009-02-13. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Marc Zender | HAA Travels - Study Leaders | Harvard Alumni Association | Harvard Alumni Affairs & Development (AA&D)". Alumni.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Marc Zender Epigrapher archaeologist J&P Voelkel videos". Jaguarstones.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Adler, Shawn (2007-09-12). "'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull': What's The Title Mean? - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Jason Fisher (2009-05-18). "Lingwë - Musings of a Fish: Teaching Tolkien - The blog of Tolkien scholar and philologist Jason Fisher". Lingwe.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Marc Zender". Extension.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Download - Much Ado about Nothing: 2012 and the Maya | Peabody Museum". Peabody.harvard.edu. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2012-08-04.