MARCA's first publication. The caption reads: “Arm raised to the sportsmen of Spain”
|Type||Daily sports newspaper|
|Associate editor||Santiago Se|
|Founded||21 December 1938|
|Headquarters||Avenida de San Luis, 25-27, 1ª planta
|Sister newspapers||El Mundo, Expansión|
MARCA is a Spanish national daily sport newspaper owned by Unidad Editorial. The newspaper focuses primarily on football, in particular the day-to-day activities of Real Madrid. It has a daily readership of over 2,500,000, the highest in Spain for a daily newspaper, and more than half of sports readership.
On 25 November 1942 it ceased being published as a weekly publication and has been published as a daily ever since. The daily was awarded the World’s Best Designed Newspaper™ for 2004 by the Society for News Design (SND).
On 21 December 2007 MARCA hosted a gala event, featuring the leading Spanish sportsmen of the 20th century, to celebrate the newspaper's 70th anniversary.
On October 2012, MARCA announces launching the Spanish edition of the video games media outlet IGN, effectively replacing their own MARCA Player gaming news website. MARCA also plans to launch another Spanish edition of IGN for Spanish-speakers in Latin America.
The following awards are awarded by MARCA at the end of each season:
- Pichichi - To the top goalscorer in La Liga as well as to the top goalscorer in Segunda División.
- Zarra - To the top goalscorer among Spanish nationals in La Liga as well as to the top goalscorer among Spanish nationals in Segunda División.
- Zamora - To the best goalkeeper in La Liga as well as to the best goalkeeper in Segunda División.
- Miguel Muñoz - To the best head coach in La Liga as well as to the best head coach in Segunda División.
- Guruceta - To the best referee in La Liga as well as to the best referee in Segunda División.
- Di Stefano - To the best player in La Liga Deportiva.
- Manuel Fernández-Cuesta (1938–1945)
- Ibrahim de Malcervelli (1945–1946)
- Manuel Casanova (1946–1947)
- Lucio del Álamo (1947–1954)
- Nemesio Fernández-Cuesta (1954–1973)
- Carmelo Martínez (1973–1983)
- Valentín Martín (1983–1984)
- Juan Pablo de Villanueva (1984–1986)
- Jesús Ramos (1986–1987)
- Luis Infante Bravo (1987–1997)
- Manuel Saucedo (1997–2001)
- Elías Israel (2001–2005)
- Manuel Saucedo (2005–2006)
- Alejandro Sopeña (2006–2007)
- Eduardo Inda (2007–2011)
- Óscar Campillo (2011– 2013)
- Toro, Carlos (2008). La Historia de Marca [The History of Marca] (in Spanish). Madrid. p. 424. ISBN 978-84-9734-723-5.
- "World’s Best-Designed winners". Society for News Design. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Ferguson confronts Real over lack of morality and vows Ronaldo will stay; The Guardian 24 May 2008
- Sanz, David (9 October 2012). "Bienvenidos a IGN España" (in Spanish). IGN Spain. Retrieved 3 December 2012.