Marcel Berlins (born 30 Oct 1941) is a lawyer, legal commentator, broadcaster, and columnist. He has written for the British newspapers The Guardian and The Times, presented BBC Radio 4's legal programme Law in Action for 15 years and is currently a Visiting Professor at City University London in the Journalism department.
He was born in Marseille, France, but moved with his parents to South Africa as a teenager and stayed there till early adulthood. He remains a French citizen, and voted in the 2007 French presidential election.
Berlins has written a weekly column for The Guardian, and regularly reviews crime fiction for The Times. Berlins began presenting BBC Radio 4's legal affairs programme Law in Action in 1988, and won two Legal Broadcaster of the Year awards before retiring from the programme in 2004. He is a contestant in the 2009 series of Radio 4's Round Britain Quiz. He is also a visiting professor in media law at City University, London.
- "Birthdays". The Guardian (Guardian News & Media). 30 Oct 2014. p. 39.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Library of Congress (retrieved on 15 September 2009).
- Marcel Berlins biography, The Guardian
- About Law in Action, BBC website, retrieved 26 August 2009
- Marcel Berlins (2006-08-30). ""Ségolène Royal is the left's best bet to be the next leader of France. But the socialist elephants are out to stop her"". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- Marcel Berlins (2005-12-14). ""I lived in a South Africa ruled by apartheid. Now I return to find that freedom has plunged the country into the real, hard world"". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- Marcel Berlins (2007-04-25). ""Yes, I backed the wrong horse in the French election, but at least I had some fun voting"". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- Round Britain Quiz website: "meet the teams"
- Marcel Berlins City University London website
- Marcel Berlins' Guardian columns at Comment is free
- "Marcel Berlins introduces The 50 Greatest Crime Writers list", The Times, April 17, 2008
- "Marcel Berlins reviews the latest crime fiction ", The Times, July 4, 2009