Marcel de Jong
De Jong playing for Canada in 2010.
|Full name||Marcel de Jong|
|Date of birth||15 October 1986|
|Place of birth||Newmarket, Ontario, Canada|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Defender, left midfielder|
|Current club||FC Augsburg|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
De Jong played for amateur side De Valk and joined the PSV Eindhoven youth academy in 1996. He started his professional career with Dutch Eerste Divisie side Helmond Sport and joined Roda JC in the summer of 2006. After four years with Roda JC, de Jong signed with German club FC Augsburg on 21 May 2010. Marcel scored his first goal for the German side on 12 September 2010 versus VfL Bochum at the Ruhrstadion. They won this away fixture 2–0 in which de Jong also assisted the other goal from teammate Michael Thurk. De Jong scored his second goal of the season several months later on 4 February 2011 in a 2–0 away win versus VfL Osnabrück. De Jong in his first season with Augsburg started 24 league games and helped take the team to finish second in 2. Bundesliga securing automatic promotion to top flight football, finishing several points behind Hertha BSC.
De Jong made his Bundesliga debut in the first game of the 2011–12 season on 6 August 2011 against SC Freiburg; the game ended in a 2–2 home draw. On 4 October 2011, Marcel De Jong suffered a knee injury that would keep him out of action for two months.  He returned to action as an unused substitute on 4 December 2011 during a 3–1 defeat to Schalke 04. De Jong made his full return to the team the following week against Borussia Mönchengladbach; starting the game, he helped earn the team only their third victory of the campaign, winning 1–0. De Jong scored his first Bundesliga goal on 28 January 2012 against 1. FC Kaiserslautern, the game ended in a 2–2 home draw. De Jong sustained an ankle injury in an early February draw against 1. FC Nürnberg, forcing him to have season-ending surgery on the ligaments.
De Jong made his return from his injury 1 September 2012 in a 3–1 defeat to Schalke 04. He scored his first goal of the season on 27 April 2013 against VfB Stuttgart in a 3–0 victory, De Jong came on as a sub and scored a minute after coming on.
In the summer of 2005, De Jong played for the U-20 Canadian national team at the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in the Netherlands. On 26 September 2007, just before his 21st birthday, de Jong decided to play for the Canadian national team instead of the Netherlands, reasoning that he would be more likely to earn a regular place in the Canada team than with the Netherlands.
He made his senior debut for Canada in a November 2007 friendly match against South Africa. De Jong scored his first goal for Canada in a 2–2 draw against Costa Rica on 10 July 2009. De Jong was selected for his second consecutive Gold Cup in May 2011, Canada failed to exit the group stage with a 1–1–1 record.
Scores and results list Canada's goal tally first.
|1||10 July 2009||FIU Stadium, Miami, United States||Costa Rica||2–1||2–2||2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
- FC Augsburg
Although born in Canada, De Jong spent most of his childhood in the Netherlands. His brother Ben has been a European champion Taekwondo.
- "Marcel de Jong" (in Dutch). psvjeugd.nl. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "FC Augsburg haalt De Jong" (in Dutch). limburger.nl. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- "FC Ausgburg verpflichtet Marcel de Jong" (in German). transfermarkt.de. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Bottjer, Steve (10 June 2011). "De Jong continues rise for club & country". rednationonline.ca. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Match: FC Ausburg vs. SC Freiburg". ESPN.com. 6 August 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- Quinn, Phillip (4 October 2011). "FC Augsburg's Marcel De Jong Out Two Months With Knee Injury". sbnation.com. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Schuller, Rudi (6 December 2011). "Canadian Exports: Occean stays on scoring tear". mlssoccer.com. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "Augsburg 2-2 Kaiserslautern". espnstar.com. 29 January 2012. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Zocher, Thomas (15 February 2012). "De Jong to have surgery". Sky Sports. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Schalke claim first win". ESPN Soccernet. 1 September 2012. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "FC Ausburg 3-0 VfB Stuttgart". Bundesliga. 27 April 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "De Jong: Brazil would be a dream". FIFA.com. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.