Marcel Wanders, 2008
July 3, 1963
|Alma mater||Institute of the Arts Arnhem, Design Academy Eindhoven|
Target Stores and many more
|Known for||Knotted Chair, Mondrian Hotel South Beach|
Marcel Wanders (July 2, 1963) is a Dutch designer.
Wanders was born and raised in Boxtel, Netherlands, and graduated cum laude from the Institute of the Arts Arnhem in 1988, after briefly attending the Design Academy Eindhoven. Wanders first drew international recognition for his 'Knotted Chair', produced by the Dutch design brand Droog, in 1996. The 'Knotted Chair' has since been acquired by the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
He works out of his studio, situated in Westerhuis, in the Jordaan neighbourhood of Amsterdam. He designs for manufacturers worldwide, such as: Alessi, B&B Italia, Bisazza, Poliform, Moroso, Flos, Boffi, Cappellini, Droog and Moooi. Moooi was founded in 2000, and Wanders is the art director and co-owner. In 2010, Wanders extended his projects into the realm of beauty and cosmetics, when he was invited to collaborate with Japanese cosmetics manufacturer KOSÉ Corporation's high-prestige cosmetics brand, COSME DECORTE. The fruit of this collaboration was the new cosmetics line COSME DECORTE AQ MW.
Wanders jurors for various design prizes, including the Rotterdam Design Prize (for which he has been nominated several times) and the Kho Liang Ie Prize. He has lectured at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Limn, the Design Academy, Nike, IDFA, FutureDesignDays and has taught at many of the world's most prestigious design academies. Wanders was the editor of the 2005 International Design Yearbook, and in 2008 Fast Company named him as their 'Master of Design'.
Marcel Wanders designs architectural, interior and industrial projects.
In 2005, together with chef Peter Lute, he developed a concept called Lute Suites, the first 'all over city suites' hotel in the world, located just outside of Amsterdam. He also designed the interior of Blits, a restaurant in Rotterdam, as well as the interior of restaurant ‘Thor’ at the Hotel on Rivington in New York City, including its bar, lounge and private club. In 2007 Wanders collaborated with German sportswear and apparel manufacturer Puma AG on a range of lifestyle products, such as beach accessories.
Wanders' designs have been selected for collections and exhibitions in such institutions as the Museum of Modern Art in New York and San Francisco, the V&A Museum in London, the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam, the Central Museum in Utrecht, Museum of Decorative Arts Copenhagen and various Droog exhibitions.
Coverage on Wanders has been published in all leading design magazines and newspapers, such as: Domus, Interni, Blueprint, Design Report, I.D., Abitare, Wallpaper*, Nylon, Elle Decoration, Icon, Esquire, International Herald Tribune, The Washington Post, Financial Times, The New York Times, Business Week, and regularly in FRAME.
- Knotted Chair (1996)
- Egg Vase (1997)
- Snotty Vase (2001)
- V.I.P. Chair (2000)
- Carbon Chair (2004)
- Crochet Chubby Low Armchair (2006)
- Skygarden S1 (2007)
- Westerhuis, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2008)
- Mondrian South Beach, Miami, Florida, United States (2008)
- Villa Moda, Bahrain (2009)
- Casa Son Vida, Palma, Mallorca, Spain (2009)
- Kameha Grand, Bonn, Germany (2009)
- COSME DECORTE 'AQMW' (Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder) Skin Care (2010)
- Monster Chair (2010)
- Tableware for KLM (2011) 
- 'Dressed' tableware for Alessi (2011)
- COSME DECORTE 'AQMW' Absolute Quality Miracle Wonder)Makeup (2012)
- Ava Ceramic Award (1997)
- George Nelson Award, Interiors Magazine (2000)
- Vredeman de Vries Vormgevingsprijs (2003)
- Elle Decoration Designer of the Year (2005)
- Elle Decoration Designer of the Year (2006)
- Visionary!, Museum of Arts and Design, New York City, New York, USA (2007)
- Collab Design Excellence Award, Philadelphia Museum of Art (2009)
- Good Design Award ('Dressed tableware for Alessi) (2011)
- Wanders Wonders: Design for a New Age (1999) ISBN 90-6450-376-1
- Marcel Wanders: Behind The Ceiling (2009) ISBN 978-3-89955-234-8
- Marcel Wanders: Interiors (2011) ISBN 978-0-8478-3187-6
- Bernadine Walrecht (2002). Homemade Holland: How Craft and Design Mix. Crafts Council (Great Britain).
- Anja Llorella Oriol, Anja Llorella, teNeues (2006). Ultimate New York Design. p.165. ISBN 3-8327-9107-8.
- "Moooi". 1 January 2012.
- "Westerhuis". 1 January 2012.
- "Marcel Wanders Designs Miami's Mondrian". 1 January 2012.
- "Designer People With Marcel Wanders". 1 January 2012.
- "Tableware by Marcel Wanders for KLM". 2 January 2012.
- "Wanders Wonders: Design for a New Age". 010 Publishers. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Marcel Wanders: Behind The Ceiling". Die Gestalten Verlag. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Marcel Wanders: Interiors". Rizzoli. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marcel Wanders.|
- Marcel Wanders Studio
- Marcel Wanders's Skygarden S1
- Video portrait of Marcel Wanders (Dutch Profiles)