March 2013 Srinagar attack
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|2013 Srinagar Attack|
|Location||Bemina, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Date||March 13, 2013
10.45 (IST (UTC+5.30))
|Deaths||7 (including the two perpetrators)|
Number of participants
An attack on a CRPF camp at Bemina, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India, occurred on 13 March 2013. It resulted in the death of five CRPF personnel and 2 attackers. 10 others were also injured include security personnels and civilians.
Two attackers entered Police Public School ground, where the CRPF camp was situated, in the morning. They were in the attire of cricket players with the sports kit. After they passed through security, they removed their jackets and took out granades and AK-47 assault rifles. They then opened fire on the CRPF unit and local civilians. The shootout lasted 30 minutes.
Five CRPF men died and ten others were injured, including four civilians. The perpetrators were both killed by the CRPF personnel. Two AK-47 rifles, five magazines, two pistols and four grenades were recovered from attackers. A curfew was then imposed in Kashmir.
The Government of India suspected the possible involvement of Pakistan. Sushilkumar Shinde, the home minister of India, said that the attackers who were killed had items (including ointment) that were manufactured in Pakistan and diaries with numbers in them of Pakistani origin. The Tamil Nadu government declared a relief of Rs500,000 to the family of a CRPF man who died in the attack. Omar Abdullah, the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, paid tribute to the dead soldiers. Later the India-Pakistan hockey series was cancelled. India also put the group visa facility for Pakistani tourists on hold.
- RAINA, MUZAFFAR (March 13, 2013). "Terror leaps out of cricket kit". The Telegraph. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Pandit, M Saleem (March 14, 2013). "Calm shattered in Srinagar as fidayeen kill 5 CRPF men". The Times of India (Srinagar). TNN. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Pakistan-made items found on killed terrorists: Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde". NDTV. IANS. March 14, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Pakistani-made items were found on killed terrorists in Srinagar: Shinde". Hindustan Times. IANS. March 14, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Curfew in Indian Kashmir after militant attack". Bradenton Herald. AP. March 14, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Arrested Pakistani militants reveal Srinagar CRPF camp attack plot". The Indian Express. PTI. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Mukherjee, Ashish (March 16, 2013). "Third suspect arrested for terrorist attack in Srinagar". NDTV. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Signatures of Lashkar-e-Toiba seen in Srinagar attack: CRPF". The Indian Express. PTI. March 14, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Srinagar CRPF deaths: TN to give Rs 5 lakh to jawan’s family". First Post. PTI. March 14, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Masoodi, Nazir (March 14, 2013). "After protests over his absence, Omar Abdullah pays tribute to killed CRPF jawans at airport". NDTV. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Srinagar attack: India, Pakistan hockey series called off". The Indian Express. PTI. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- "Govt puts off group visa facility for Pakistanis". The Times of India. TNN. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- "Pakistan rejects Indian accusations on Srinagar attack". Tribune (Islamabad). APP. March 13, 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.