Marco Dorigo (born 26 August 1961, in Milan, Italy) is a research director for the Belgian Funds for Scientific Research (FNRS), a professor in the computer science department of the University of Paderborn and a co-director of IRIDIA, the artificial intelligence lab of the Université Libre de Bruxelles. He is the proponent of the ant colony optimization metaheuristic (see his book published by MIT Press in 2004), and one of the founders of the swarm intelligence research field. Recently he got involved with research in swarm robotics: he is the coordinator of Swarm-bots: Swarms of self-assembling artefacts and of Swarmanoid: Towards humanoid robotic swarms two swarm robotics projects funded by the Future and Emerging Technologies Program of the European Commission. He is also the founding editor and editor in chief of Swarm Intelligence, the principal peer reviewed publication dedicated to reporting research and new developments in this multidisciplinary field.
For these contributions, in 2003 he was awarded the "Marie Curie Research Excellence Award" by the European Commission; on 22 November 2005, he was presented the "FNRS - Dr A. De Leeuw-Damry-Bourlart award in Applied Sciences" by the King of Belgium, Albert II; and in 2007 he received the "Cajastur International Prize for Soft Computing", awarded by the "Foundation for the Advancement of Soft Computing". He is the recipient of an ERC Advanced Grant (2010).
- Ant Colony Optimization with Thomas Stützle, MIT Press, 2004 (ISBN 9780262042192).
- Swarm Intelligence : From Natural to Artificial Systems with Eric Bonabeau and Guy Theraulaz, Oxford University Press, 1999 (ISBN 0-19-513159-2).
- Robot Shaping with Marco Colombetti, MIT Press, 1998 (ISBN 0-262-04164-2).
- Ant Algorithms for discrete optimization with Gianni Di Caro and Luca Maria Gambardella, Artificial Life, Vol. 5, N. 2, 1999.
- Ant Colony System: A Cooperative Learning Approach to the Traveling Salesman Problem. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 1 (1): 53–66. (This became the second most cited paper ever published by IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation.)
- "First EU Marie Curie Awards in recognition of world-class achievements in Europe", Marie Curie Research Excellence Awards, 2003
- "Belgian FNRS -- Dr A. De Leeuw-Damry-Bourlart award in Applied Sciences, 2005"
- "Cajastur International Prize for Soft Computing, 2007"
- Professor Dorigo's Home Page
- Ant Colony Optimization Home Page
- Belgian Funds for Scientific Research (FNRS)
- Award-winning swarm-bot video at AAAI 2007, with contributions of Dorigo's team
- Award-winning swarmanoid video at AAAI 2011, with contributions of Dorigo's team