Marco Island, Florida
|Marco Island, Florida|
|— City —|
|Nickname(s): La Isla de San Marco|
|Collier County and the state of Florida|
|• Total||17.1 sq mi (44 km2)|
|• Land||10.6 sq mi (27 km2)|
|• Water||7.5 sq mi (19 km2)|
|Elevation||0 ft (0 m)|
|• Density||959.8/sq mi (943.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0286403|
Marco Island is a city in Collier County, Florida, United States, located on an island by the same name in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Southwest Florida. It is a principal city of the Naples–Marco Island Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 16,413 at the 2010 census.
Originally named San Marco Island by Spanish explorers, Marco Island is the largest barrier island within Southwest Florida's Ten Thousand Islands area extending southerly to Cape Sable. Parts of the island have some scenic, high elevations relative to the generally flat south Florida landscape and like the City of Naples to the north, Marco Island enjoys a tropical climate, specifically a tropical wet and dry or savanna type (Aw under the Köppen system). It is known for distinct wet and dry seasons, with most of the rainfall falling between the months of June and October.
Marco Island is located at .(25.940619, -81.714843)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 17.1 square miles (44 km2). 10.6 square miles (27 km2) of it is land and 6.5 square miles (17 km2) of it (38.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 16,413 people, 7,517 households, and 17,134 housing units in the city. The population density was 1,352.0 inhabitants per square mile (543.5/km²). There were 14,826 housing units at an average density of 1,402.1 per square mile (12.14 square miles). The racial makeup of the city was 95.9% White, 0.5% African American, 0.1% American Indian, 1.1% Asian and 7.1% Hispanic or Latino.
There were 7,517 households out of which 9.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.7% were 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21.
The median income for a household in the city was $73,373, and the per capita income was $52,089. 7.1% of the population were below the poverty level.
District School Board of Collier County operates the following schools serving Marco Island:
- Marco Island Academy High School 
- Marco Island Charter Middle School 
- Tommy Barfield Elementary School 
Island Montessori Academy  Primary and Elementary Programs 579 E. Elkcam Circle, Marco Island
Notable residents 
- Allan Bristow - Retired Head Coach, Dallas Mavericks
- Pat Bradley - Golfer
- Michael Collins - Astronaut
- William J. Cullerton - World War II flying ace
- Buster Douglas - Boxer
- Lauren Embree - Tennis player
- Alan Jackson - Singer
- Brian McLaren - author/activist
- Leighton Meester - Actress
- Ara Parseghian - Retired Head Coach, University of Notre Dame Football
- Robin Quivers - Talk show host
- Gene Sarazen - Golfer
- John Spiker - Musician, bassist from Tenacious D
- Bob Turley - Retired baseball pitcher
- Shania Twain - Singer
- Mike Vanderjagt - NFL kicker
- Ken Venturi - Golfer, broadcaster
- Samuel H. Young - former congressman
- Pete Kugler- former NFL player
- Paul Christian Tateo- WAC Legend
- Michael Grossi- Theatre Performer
- Larry Dorr - Manager of Blood Sweat & Tears
See also 
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Census numbers enumerated before 2000 were for Marco CDP
- Megan, Graydon (2013-01-16). "William Cullerton, 1923-2013 WWII pilot, entrepreneur, radio host and well-known outdoorsman championed conservation". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-01-25.