February 23, 1990 |
Montreal, QC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||208 lb (94 kg; 14 st 12 lb)|
|NHL team||Minnesota Wild|
|NHL Draft||55th overall, 2008
Scandella at the 2010 World Junior Championship
|Competitor for Canada|
|World Junior Championships|
|World U18 Championships|
Marco Scandella (born February 23, 1990) is a Canadian ice hockey defenceman who currently plays in the National Hockey League for the Minnesota Wild. He played junior hockey in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for the Val d'Or Foreurs. He was selected by Minnesota Wild in the 2nd round (55th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Scandella started his junior career with the Val d'Or Foreurs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Scandella represented Canada internationally for the first time at the 2008 World Under-18 Championships, helping his country to a gold medal, and recording one goal and one assist in 7 games. He also represented Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championships, helping the team to a silver medal, and recording 1 goal and 2 assists in six games. Shortly after returning from the tournament, Scandella was suspended for 15 games for elbowing Alexandre Durette of the Rimouski Océanic in the head.
Scandella made his NHL debut for the Wild on November 12, 2010 against the Florida Panthers. He scored his first NHL goal during the first game of the 2011–12 season against Steve Mason of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
On November 29, 2014, Scandella signed a five-year, $20 million contract extension with the Wild.
Scandella is the nephew of former NHLer Sergio Momesso. His older brother, Giulio Scandella, plays for the Italian National Team, with whom he appeared at the 2006 Winter Olympics. He also plays pro hockey in Italy. Scandella is trilingual, speaking English, French and Italian.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||Val d'Or Foruers||QMJHL||31||9||22||31||41||6||2||4||6||4|
- Podnieks, Andrew (ed.). IIHF Guide & Record Book 2014. Toronto: Fenn/McClelland & Stewart. p. 401.
- "Quebec junior hockey player suspended 15 games for headshot". faceoff.com. CanWest News Service. 2010-02-09. Archived from the original on 2014-11-30. Retrieved 2014-11-30.
- "Marco Scandella Minnesota Wild". Minnesota Wild. Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- Russo, Michael (2014-11-29). "Wild rewards Scandella with five-year, $20 million contract extension". Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN). Archived from the original on 2014-11-30. Retrieved 2014-11-30.
- Wharnsby, Tim (2010-01-03). "Canadian juniors advance to gold-medal game". CBC News. Archived from the original on 2014-11-30. Retrieved 2014-11-30.
- "Scandella, Marco". National Hockey League. Archived from the original on 2014-11-30. Retrieved 2014-11-30.
- Erickson, Kelly (December 15, 2013). "Just Enjoy It". Minnesota Wild Hockey Club Website (National Hockey League). Retrieved December 2, 2014.