Soares (in the background) playing for Cape Verde against Catalonia (2013)
|Full name||Marco Paulo Silva Soares|
|Date of birth||16 June 1984|
|Place of birth||Setúbal, Portugal|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2006–2007||→ Olhanense (loan)||15||(2)|
|2008||→ Pandurii (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Soares started playing professionally with F.C. Barreirense, competing two seasons in the third division and one in the second. In 2006 he signed for U.D. Leiria, but only made two first division appearances in his first two years combined, also serving two loans in the process, one of them in Romania with CS Pandurii Târgu Jiu.
On 31 October 2010, during a 1–2 home loss against Sporting Clube de Portugal – where he started his youth career in 1997 – Soares fractured his left leg while attempting a shot, being sidelined for four months.
Soares opted to represent Cape Verde internationally. He was a member of the squad in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign and, after the national team was eliminated, was called up for friendlies with Malta and Angola, in August 2009.
On 24 May 2010, he appeared in a friendly in Covilhã with Portugal – who was preparing for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa – playing the entire match as the minnows (ranked 117th) managed a 0–0 draw.
- Cypriot Supercup: 2012
- "Selecção nacional de futebol: divulgada lista para amistosos com Malta e Angola" [National football team: list for friendlies with Malta and Angola released] (in Portuguese). Expresso das Ilhas. 29 August 2009. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "Portugal held to 0–0 draw by Cape Verde". USA Today. 24 May 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- Stats and profile at Zerozero
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- Marco Soares at National-Football-Teams.com
- Marco Soares – FIFA competition record