Marcos Aguinis (born 13 January 1935) is an Argentine writer that has received several prestigious international awards. Trained in medical studies, music and psychoanalysis, his work and his thoughts are focused on the notions of independence, democracy and rejection of authoritarianism. He is a proponent of political liberalism, and participates in seminars and conferences from the Freedom Foundation organized by Mario Vargas Llosa.
Marcos Aguinis was born in Cordoba, Argentina on January 13, 1935. He is a writer who has gone through extensive training in international literature, medicine, psychoanalysis, art and history. He said: "I have traveled the world, but I've also traveled to various professions ".
He published his first book in 1963 and since then he has published eleven novels, sixteen books of essays, four books of short stories and two biographies that create excitement and controversy.
In recent years all his titles became best-sellers.
Aguinis is followed by thousands of fans who recommend, discuss and collect his works.
He has written articles on a wide range of topics in newspapers and magazines in Latin America, the U.S. and Europe. He has given hundreds of lectures and courses in educational, artistic, scientific and policy in Germany, Spain, USA, France, Israel, Russia, Italy and almost all Latin American countries. When democracy was restored in Argentina in December 1983, Marcos Aguinis was appointed undersecretary and then secretary of culture of the nation drove the famous "cultural spring" that animated the country. He created the PRONDEC (National Program for the Democratization of Culture), which won the support of UNESCO and United Nations, and launched intense participatory activities to raise awareness among individuals about the rights, duties and potentialities that are grown on a real democracy. For his work was nominated for UNESCO’s Peace Education Prize.
In the field of human rights faced controversial issues that put his life at risk. The last dictatorship in Argentina limited the circulation of his books and some books were taken into the country clandestinely.
Countless readers admire his prophetic vision of the Arab-Israeli tensions within the Catholic Church, authoritarianism and the resurgence of ethnic and religious fundamentalism. Marcos Aguinis, has received, among others, the Premio Planeta (Spain), Fernando Jeno Award (Mexico), Meritorious Award for Culture of the Academy of Arts and Communication Sciences, National Award for Sociology, Sea Wolf Prize, National Book Award, Argentina Society of Writers Honor Award, Pranavananda Swami Award, the Annual Silver Plaque EFE Agency for his contribution to the strengthening of Latin American culture and language, Esteban Echeverría Award (Free People), J. Award B. Alberdi (Hispanic American Center for Economic Research) and was appointed by France Chevalier of Arts and Letters. He was awarded the title of Doctor Honoris Causa of Tel Aviv University (2002), the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (2010) and the University of San Luis (2000). In 1995 Argentina's Writers Society conferred on him the Grand Prize of Honor for his work.
Marcos Aguinis was awarded with several major prizes such as the Planeta Award, the Award of the Argentine Society of Writers, the Jerusalem Prize, the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres of France and the Juan Bautista Alberdi Award 2007 presented by the Hispanic American Center for Economic Research (HACER) of Washington DC.
- Operativo Siesta (1977)
- Y la rama llena de frutos (1986)
- Importancia por contacto (1986)
- Todos los cuentos (1995)
- Maimónides (1963)
- El Combate Perpetuo (1971)
- Refugiados: Crónica de un palestino (1969)
- La Cruz Invertida (1970)
- Cantata de los diablos (1972)
- La conspiración de los idiotas (1978)
- Profanación del amor (1978)
- La Gesta del Marrano (1991)
- La Matriz del Infierno (1997)
- Los Iluminados (2000)
- Asalto al Paraíso (2002)
- La Pasión según Carmela (2008)
- Liova Corre hacia el Poder (2011)
- Evita's Fury (2013)
- Solo contra un imperio (2014)
- Carta Esperanzada a un General (1983)
- El Valor de Escribir (1985)
- Un país de Novela (1988)
- Memorias de una Siembra (1990)
- Elogio de la culpa (1993)
- Nueva Carta Esperanzada a un General (1996)
- Diálogos sobre la Argentina y el fin del Milenio (1996)
- Nuevos Diálogos (1998)
- El Atroz Encanto de Ser Argentinos (2001)
- El Cochero (2001)
- Las Dudas y las Certezas (2001)
- Las Redes del Odio (2003)
- ¿Qué Hacer? (2005)
- El Atroz Encanto de Ser Argentinos 2 (2007)
- Pobre Patria Mía! (2009)*
- El Elogio del Placer'(2010)
Books About Marcos Aguinis
- López-Calvo, Ignacio . Religión y militarismo en la obra de Marcos Aguinis 1963-2000. New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2002
- La gesta literaria de Marcos Aguinis. Ensayos Críticos. Ed. Juana Alcira Arancibia. Costa Rica: Perro Azul, 1998.
- Marcos Aguinis Official Website
- Aguinis "Marrano in Trial" – Duke University
- by Ignacio López-Calvo
- Aguinis books in Spanish
- Marcos Aguinis books in German
- Marcos Aguinis books in Japanese
- Marcos Aguinis books in Portuguese
- Marcos Aguinis books in Hebrew
- Marcos Aguinis books in Chinese