Arouca playing for Santos in 2011
|Full name||Marcos Arouca da Silva|
|Date of birth||11 August 1986|
|Place of birth||Duas Barras, Brazil|
|Height||1.71 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2010||→ Santos (loan)||7||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Duas Barras, Arouca made his professional debuts with Fluminense in 2004 Brasileirão, appearing 10 times. In the following year he appeared regularly with the side, and scored his first professional goal on 25 September 2005, netting his side's first of a 4–3 home success over Santos.
In 2007 Arouca played regularly during the Copa do Brasil winning campaign, and also appeared in 30 mathes in the league with Flu finishing fourth. In the following year he was again starter, also being runner-up of that year's Copa Libertadores. In September 2008 he completed 200 matches for Fluminense, finishing the season with 54 appearances overall.
On 19 January 2010 Arouca joined Santos in an on-year loan deal, with Rodrigo Souto moving in the opposite direction. He made his debut for the club late in the month, playing the last 28 minutes in a 2–0 home win over Oeste. As a starter, Arouca was a key defensive unit in that year's Copa do Brasil and Paulista winning campaigns. On 23 July 2010 Santos bought him outright, signing a four-year deal for a €3.5 million fee.
In the following year Arouca was again ever-present, scoring his first goal for Peixe on 15 May 2011, netting the first of a 2–1 home success over Corinthians, in 2011 Campeonato Paulista final. He was also starter during the Copa Libertadores and FIFA Club World Cup, which Santos finished champions and runner-up, respectively; Arouca also assisted Neymar in the first goal of the Libertadores' final.
Arouca was again an ever-present figure during 2012, winning his third consecutive Paulistão, also scoring his second goal for Santos on 29 February, against Guarani. On 23 August 2013 he renewed his link with Peixe, running until the end of 2016.
Despite the call ups and playing in four games, Arouca failed to impress in his performances with the national squad and as a result, he never solidified a position within the team; he was left out of the squad after the replacement of the former coach Mano Menezes by Luiz Felipe Scolari.
- (Correct as of April 27, 2014[update])
|Club||Season||State League||Série A||Copa do Brasil||CONMEBOL[i]||Other[ii]||Total|
- Campeonato Paulista: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Copa do Brasil: 2010
- Copa Libertadores: 2011
- Recopa Sudamericana: 2012
- Arouca faz seu primeiro gol entre os profissionais (Arouca scores his first goal in the professionals); Canal Fluminense, 25 September 2005 (Portuguese)
- Na volta para casa, Arouca dá exemplo e recebe homenagem em Xerém (On the way home, Arouca gives example and receives tribute in Xerém); Globo Esporte, 18 September 2008 (Portuguese)
- São Paulo confirma contratação de Arouca e espera liberação (São Paulo confirms Arouca's signing and awaits clearance); UOL Esporte, 23 December 2008 (Portuguese)
- São Paulo só empata com Ituano na estreia no Estadual (São Paulo only draws with Ituano in State League's debut); IG Esporte, 21 January 2009 (Portuguese)
- São Paulo e Santos acertam troca de Arouca por Rodrigo Souto (São Paulo e Santos agree swap of Arouca for Rodrigo Souto); Globo Esporte, 19 January 2010 (Portuguese)
- Ainda sem Robinho, Santos vence e "dorme" na liderança (Still without Robinho, Santos wins and "sleeps" leader); Terra, 30 January 2010 (Portuguese)
- Santos paga 3,5 milhões de euros e contrata Arouca em definitivo (Santos pays 3.5 million euros and signs Arouca permanently); Globo Esporte, 23 July 2010 (Portuguese)
- Com direito a drama no fim, Peixe conquista o bi em cima do Timão (With drama in the end, Peixe do the double over Timão); Globo Esporte, 15 May 2011 (Portuguese)
- Santos é campeão da Libertadores 2011 (Santos is the champion of 2011 Libertadores); O Estado de S. Paulo, 23 June 2011 (Portuguese)
- Santos renova contrato de Arouca até o fim de 2016 (Santos renews Arouca's contract until the end of 2016); O Estado de S. Paulo, 23 August 2013 (Portuguese)
- Hulk ataca de super-herói e 'salva' Mano, mas Brasil não escapa de vaias (Hulk has super-hero day and 'saves' Mano, but Brazil does not escape from boos); Globo Esporte, 7 September 2012 (Portuguese)