|Full name||Marcos dos Santos Assunção|
|Date of birth||25 July 1976|
|Place of birth||Caieiras, Brazil|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 July 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Marcos dos Santos Assunção (born 25 July 1976) is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays for Associação Portuguesa de Desportos. A central midfielder, he is renowned as a world-class free kick specialist.
Early years / Roma
Born in Caieiras, São Paulo, Assunção began his career at Rio Branco Esporte Clube, where he stayed two years. He then played for Santos FC, scoring three goals in 33 Série A games and moving to Clube de Regatas do Flamengo in 1998.
After impressive performances with Flamengo, Assunção was bought by Serie A's A.S. Roma for 1999–2000. In his first year he netted once in 21 appearances, adding another in five UEFA Cup matches; he would be used regularly during his three-year stay, proving himself a threat at set pieces as the capital club lifted the Scudetto in his second season.
Assunção joined Spanish side Real Betis in August 2002, being an undisputed first-choice from the start and scoring several goals from free kicks. His debut as a Verdiblanco was spectacular, as he netted once in a 4–2 away win against Deportivo de La Coruña through a 40-yarder with his weaker left foot, then proceeded to strike the woodwork on no less than three occasions; he scored eight goals as the Andalusian team finished fourth at the end of the 2004–05 campaign, subsequently qualifying for the UEFA Champions League.
On 25 July 2006, his 30th birthday, Assunção became a citizen of Spain due to his time spent at Betis, but the 2006–07 season would be however his last in the country. On 22 August 2007 the player left Betis by mutual consent, having failed to fit into Héctor Cúper's plans – he gave a press conference in which he said goodbye to the club and fans, saying that he would not join another Spanish club.
In the following two years Assunção played in the United Arab Emirates, consecutively with Al-Ahli and Al-Shabab. On 26 September 2009 the 33-year-old returned to his homeland, signing with Grêmio Prudente Futebol (formerly Barueri). However, after a mere months, he switched sides again, moving to Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras on a one-year deal.
Assunção was selected by manager Luiz Felipe Scolari as one of the club's four "leaders", alongside Marcos, Danilo and Edinho. In the season's Copa Sudamericana, he provided one assist and scored from a long-range kick in a 3–0 win against Esporte Clube Vitória (3–2 aggregate win).
In January 2014 Assunção joined Figueirense Futebol Clube, after his contract with Santos expired. In April, however, he rescinded his link with, signing a short-term contract with Associação Portuguesa de Desportos in June.
Assunção made 11 appearances for the Brazilian national team during two years. He made his debut against El Salvador, and scored his only international goal against Russia on 18 November 1998 in a 5–1 friendly win.
- UAE President's Cup: 2007–08
- Campeonato Catarinense: 2014
- Assunção o el arte del libre directo (Assunção or the art of the direct free kick); El País, 29 September 2003 (Spanish)
- Assunçao: "Jugaría en Riazor siempre" (Assunçao: "I would always play in Riazor"); Diario AS, 6 April 2004 (Spanish)
- El Betis arrolla al Depor con un fútbol de lujo (Betis crushes Depor with deluxe football); El Mundo, 2 September 2002 (Spanish)
- El Betis anuncia que el brasileño Marcos Assunçao jugará en Dubai (Betis announces that Brazilian Marcos Assunçao will play in Dubai); Terra, 23 August 2007 (Spanish)
- Barueri apresenta Marcos Assunção e mais quatro reforços (Barueri announces Marcos Assunção and four more); Globo Esporte, 26 September 2009 (Portuguese)
- Palmeiras anuncia acerto com volante Marcos Assunção (Palmeiras agree deal with midfielder Marcos Assunção) (Portuguese)
- "São" Marcos Assunção vs. Vitória (Portuguese)
- Assunção anuncia que não renova e está fora do Palmeiras (Assunção announces he does not renew and is out of Palmeiras); Placar, 6 January 2013 (Portuguese)
- Santos fecha contratação de Marcos Assunção por um ano (Santos closes Marcos Assunção deal for one year); Esporte Interativo, 11 January 2013 (Portuguese)
- Dirigente do Figueirense anuncia contratação de Marcos Assunção (Figueirense's director announces signing of Marcos Assunção); UOL Esporte, 10 January 2014 (Portuguese)
- Figueirense anuncia saída do volante Marcos Assunção (Figueirense announces exit of defensive midfielder Marcos Assunção); O Estado de S. Paulo, 30 April 2014 (Portuguese)
- Veterano Marcos Assunção é apresentado pela Portuguesa (Veteran Marcos Assunção is presented by Portuguesa); Globo Esporte, 30 June 2014 (Portuguese)
- Marcos Senna, estrella de Champions (Marcos Senna, Champions star); Las Provincias, 2 October 2008 (Spanish)
- Official Palmeiras profile (Portuguese)
- SambaFoot profile
- CBF data (Portuguese)
- Stats at Liga de Fútbol Profesional (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Marcos Assunção at National-Football-Teams.com
- Soccerway profile