List of Harry Potter characters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Marcus Belby)
Characters alphabetical by surname and name
- Hannah Abbott – Hufflepuff student in Harry's year and member of Dumbledore's Army. Marries Neville Longbottom
- Bathsheba Babbling – Ancient Runes teacher at Hogwarts
- Ludo Bagman – Quidditch Beater for the Wimbourne Wasps and Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports within the Ministry of Magic
- Bathilda Bagshot – Author of A History of Magic, great aunt of Gellert Grindelwald.
- Katie Bell – Gryffindor student one year above Harry Potter; Chaser on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. In her seventh year, she was cursed by a magic necklace.
- Cuthbert Binns – Ghost, History of Magic professor
- Regulus Arcturus Black – Brother of Sirius Black, a Death Eater who turned against Lord Voldemort and paid for it with his life.
- Sirius Black – Harry Potter's godfather, Gryffindor student at Hogwarts, Animagus, Marauder, disowned for running away from home to live with the Potter family, member of the Order of the Phoenix, killed by his cousin Bellatrix Lestrange
- Amelia Bones – Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, aunt of Susan Bones
- Susan Bones – Hufflepuff student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army
- Terry Boot - Ravenclaw student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army
- Lavender Brown – Gryffindor student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army, briefly Ron Weasley's girlfriend, mauled by Fenrir Greyback in the Battle of Hogwarts
- Millicent Bulstrode – Slytherin student in Harry's year, member of Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad
- Charity Burbage – Professor of Muggle Studies at Hogwarts during Harry's time at school, killed by Lord Voldemort and subsequently fed to his snake Nagini in Deathly Hallows
- Frank Bryce – Muggle gardener for the Riddle family, murdered by Lord Voldemort
- Alecto Carrow – Sister of Amycus Carrow, Death Eater and professor of Muggle Studies for one year, Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts under Severus Snape
- Amycus Carrow – Brother of Alecto Carrow, Death Eater and professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts for one year, even though he changed it to just "Dark Arts", Deputy Headmaster of Hogwarts under Severus Snape
- Reginald Cattermole – Employee of the Magical Maintenance Department for the Ministry of Magic, impersonated by Ron Weasley
- Mary Cattermole – Muggle-born wife of Reginald Cattermole, saved by Harry Potter from the Muggle-born Registration Commission.
- Cho Chang – Ravenclaw student one year above Harry, Quidditch Seeker, member of Dumbledore's Army, and Harry's first love interest
- Penelope Clearwater – Ravenclaw prefect and girlfriend of Percy Weasley
- Michael Corner – Ravenclaw student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army, Ginny Weasley and Cho Chang's boyfriend
- Vincent Crabbe, Sr. – Death Eater, father of Vincent Crabbe
- Vincent Crabbe – Slytherin student in Harry's year, son of Death Eater, Slytherin Quidditch team Beater, member of the Inquisitorial Squad
- Colin Creevey – Muggle-born Gryffindor student one year below Harry, brother of Dennis Creevey, member of Dumbledore's Army, killed during the Battle of Hogwarts, after sneaking away from the younger evacuated students in the seventh book
- Dennis Creevey – Muggle-born Gryffindor student three years below Harry, brother of Colin Creevey, member of Dumbledore's Army
- Dirk Cresswell – Muggle-born Head of the Goblin Liaison Office, went on the run in Deathly Hallows with fellow muggle-born Ted Tonks, Dean Thomas and goblins Gornuk and Griphook, killed by snatchers along with Ted and Gornuk
- Bartemius "Barty" Crouch, Sr. – Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, killed by his son Barty Crouch Jr
- Bartemius "Barty" Crouch, Jr. – Death Eater, credited with facilitating the return of Lord Voldemort, received a Dementor's Kiss, used polyjuice potion to impersonate Alastor Moody
- Fleur Delacour – Student who participated in the Triwizard Tournament representing Beauxbatons, later wed Bill Weasley. Mother of Victoire Weasley.
- Gabrielle Delacour – Younger sister of Fleur Delacour
- Dilys Derwent – St. Mungo's Healer and previous Headmistress of Hogwarts
- Dedalus Diggle – Member of the Order of the Phoenix who took the Dursleys into hiding.
- Amos Diggory – Works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, father of Cedric Diggory
- Cedric Diggory – Hufflepuff student two years above Harry, school prefect, Quidditch Seeker and captain, co-winner of the Triwizard Tournament, killed by Peter Pettigrew on Voldemort's orders.
- Elphias Doge - Schoolmate friend of Albus Dumbledore
- Antonin Dolohov – Death Eater, killed Fabian Prewett, Gideon Prewett, and Remus Lupin, defeated by Filius Flitwick
- Aberforth Dumbledore – Albus Dumbledore's brother, owner of the Hog's Head
- Albus Dumbledore – Hogwarts Headmaster in Harry Potter's time, Transfiguration professor in Tom Riddle's time, founder of the Order of the Phoenix, killed by Severus Snape.
- Ariana Dumbledore – Sister of Aberforth and Albus Dumbledore, magically unstable after an assault by muggle boys when she was little, killed accidentally in childhood by either Albus, Aberforth or Gellert Grindelwald.
- Kendra Dumbledore – Muggleborn mother of Albus, Aberforth and Ariana Dumbledore, killed accidentally by one of Ariana's outbursts.
- Percival Dumbledore – Father of Albus, Aberforth and Ariana Dumbledore, died in Azkaban after he took vengeance on some muggle boys who assaulted his daughter.
- Dudley Dursley – Muggle son of Vernon Dursley and Petunia Evans, first cousin of Harry Potter
- Marjorie "Marge" Dursley – Muggle sister of Vernon Dursley, breeds bulldogs, her favorite one named Ripper.
- Petunia Dursley (née Evans) – Harry's aunt, the sister of his mother Lily. Married to Vernon Dursley and mother of Dudley Dursley
- Vernon Dursley – Harry Potter's muggle uncle, married to his aunt Petunia and father of Dudley Dursley.
- Marietta Edgecombe – Ravenclaw student one year above Harry, traitor to Dumbledore's Army
- Everard – Former Headmaster of Hogwarts, a particularly famous wizard, whose portrait hangs in many institutions, including the Ministry
- Arabella Figg – Squib neighbour of the Dursleys', member of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Argus Filch – Squib caretaker of Hogwarts
- Justin Finch-Fletchley – Muggle-born Hufflepuff student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army.
- Seamus Finnigan – Irish Gryffindor student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army
- Nicolas Flamel – Husband of Perenelle Flamel, alchemist, the only known creator of the Philosopher's stone. A fictionalised version of Nicolas Flamel, the mediaeval scrivener and alchemist.
- Mundungus Fletcher – Sneak thief and member of the Order of the Phoenix
- Filius Flitwick – Charms professor at Hogwarts and Head of Ravenclaw
- Cornelius Fudge – Minister for Magic from sometime during the 1980s until summer of 1996 when he was forced to resign.
- Marvolo Gaunt – Pure-blood father of Merope and Morfin Gaunt, grandfather of Tom Marvolo Riddle, descendant of Salazar Slytherin and Cadmus Peverell
- Merope Gaunt – Daughter of Marvolo Gaunt, sister of Morfin Gaunt, wife of Tom Riddle Sr, mother of Tom Marvolo Riddle/Lord Voldemort, died during childbirth, named for Merope, one of the Pleiades, who married a mortal
- Morfin Gaunt – Son of Marvolo Gaunt, framed by nephew Tom Riddle for Muggle killings, died in Azkaban
- Anthony Goldstein - Ravenclaw student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army
- Goyle Sr – Death Eater, father of Gregory Goyle
- Gregory Goyle – Son of Goyle, Slytherin student in Harry's year, Slytherin Quidditch Beater, member of the Inquisitorial Squad, dies in Part 2 of the final movie by falling into Fiendfyre
- Hermione Granger – Muggle-born Gryffindor student in Harry's year, one of Harry's best friends, founder of Dumbledore's Army, Gryffindor Prefect.
- Gregorovitch – European wand maker, killed by Lord Voldemort
- Fenrir Greyback – Werewolf, infected Remus Lupin, maimed Bill Weasley and wounded Lavender Brown, defeated by Ron Weasley and Neville Longbottom
- Gellert Grindelwald – Dark Wizard, friend, and later rival, of Albus Dumbledore, nephew of Bathilda Bagshot, owner of the Elder Wand, student at Durmstrang, killed by Lord Voldemort
- Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank – Substitute Care of Magical Creatures professor during Harry's fourth year
- Godric Gryffindor – One of the four founders of Hogwarts.
- Rubeus Hagrid – Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts, Care of Magical Creatures professor starting from Harry's third year, member of the Order of the Phoenix, half-giant, half brother of Grawp
- Rolanda Hooch – Hogwarts flying instructor, Quidditch referee
- Helga Hufflepuff – One of the four founders of Hogwarts, ancestor of Hepzibah Smith
- Angelina Johnson – Gryffindor student two years above Harry, Quidditch Chaser and captain, attended Yule Ball with Fred Weasley, wife of George Weasley and mother of Fred and Roxanne Weasley
- Lee Jordan – Gryffindor student two years above Harry, Hogwarts Quidditch commentator, good friend of Fred and George Weasley at Hogwarts
- Igor Karkaroff – Reformed Death Eater, Highmaster of Durmstrang, presumably killed by Death Eaters after the events of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Viktor Krum – Durmstrang student, Bulgarian Quidditch Seeker, participated in the Triwizard Tournament
- Bellatrix Lestrange (née Black) – Death Eater, sister of Narcissa Malfoy and Andromeda Tonks, cousin of Sirius and Regulus Black, she tortured Frank and Alice Longbottom into insanity with husband Rodolphus, killed Sirius Black, Nymphadora Tonks, and Dobby. Killed by Molly Weasley.
- Rabastan Lestrange – Death Eater, brother of Rodolphus Lestrange
- Rodolphus Lestrange – Death Eater, brother of Rabastan Lestrange, husband of Bellatrix Lestrange, uncle of Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks) and Draco Malfoy, tortured Frank and Alice Longbottom into insanity with wife Bellatrix
- Gilderoy Lockhart – Fraudulent author, Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, lost memory because of a backfiring memory spell he attempted with Ron's broken wand on Harry and Ron, permanently resides at St. Mungo's
- Alice Longbottom – Wife of Frank Longbottom, mother of Neville Longbottom, member of the original Order of the Phoenix, Auror, tortured into insanity by Bellatrix Lestrange along with her husband
- Augusta Longbottom – Mother of Frank Longbottom and grandmother of Neville Longbottom
- Frank Longbottom – Father of Neville Longbottom, son of Augusta Longbottom, husband of Alice Longbottom, member of the original Order of the Phoenix, Auror, tortured into insanity by Bellatrix Lestrange along with his wife.
- Neville Longbottom – Gryffindor student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army, son of Aurors Frank and Alice Longbottom, husband of Hannah Abbott, great-nephew of great-aunt Enid and great-uncle Algie.
- Luna Lovegood – Ravenclaw student one year below Harry, member of Dumbledore's Army, daughter of Xenophilius Lovegood
- Xenophilius Lovegood – Husband/widower of Mrs Lovegood, father of Luna Lovegood, and editor of The Quibbler
- Remus Lupin – Gryffindor student before Harry's time, Marauder, friend of James Potter, werewolf, Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts in Harry's third year, member of the Order of the Phoenix, husband of Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks) and father of Teddy Remus Lupin, killed in the Deathly Hallows by Antonin Dolohov
- Teddy Lupin – Son of Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Lupin née Tonks, godson of Harry Potter
- Draco Malfoy – Slytherin student in Harry's year, Slytherin Quidditch Seeker, school prefect, member of the Inquisitorial Squad
- Lucius Malfoy – Draco Malfoy's father, an influential Death-Eater, and, early in the series, governor of Hogwarts
- Narcissa Malfoy (née Black) – Lucius Malfoy's wife and Draco Malfoy's mother, sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Andromeda Tonks
- Madam Malkin – Shop owner at Diagon Alley
- Olympe Maxime – Half-giantess, Headmistress of Beauxbatons
- Ernie Macmillan – Hufflepuff student in Harry's year, school prefect, member of Dumbledore's Army
- Minerva McGonagall – Hogwarts Transfiguration professor, Head of Gryffindor House, member of the Order of the Phoenix, Animagus.
- Cormac McLaggen — Hogwarts student who tried out for keeper along with Ron Weasley and went with Hermione Granger to one of Slughorn's "Slug Club" parties
- Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody – Retired Auror, member of the Order of the Phoenix, killed by Lord Voldemort
- Theodore Nott - Slytherin student in the same year as Harry Potter. Nott is one of the few students who can see Thestrals, suggesting that he has witnessed a death at some point. His father, a death eater, having been described as an elderly widower.
- Bob Ogden – Head of Magical Law Enforcement around the time Marvolo and Morfin Gaunt were arrested.
- Tiberius Ogden – One of the examiners for O.W.L.s, has already been one of Albus Dumbledore's examiners around the turn of the century.
- Garrick Ollivander – Wandmaker, owner of Ollivander's
- Pansy Parkinson – Slytherin student in Harry's year, school prefect, member of the Inquisitorial Squad, Draco Malfoy's girlfriend for some time
- Padma Patil – Ravenclaw student in Harry's year, identical twin sister of Gryffindor Parvati Patil, member of Dumbledore's Army, attends the Yule Ball with Ron Weasley
- Parvati Patil – Gryffindor student in Harry's year, identical twin sister of Ravenclaw Padma Patil, member of Dumbledore's Army, attends the Yule Ball with Harry Potter
- Peter Pettigrew – Former school friend of James Potter, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Betrays James and Lily Potter. An unregistered animagus, Pettigrew is first introduced as a rat known as Scabbers.
- Antioch Peverell – Original owner of The Elder Wand in The Tale of the Three Brothers.
- Cadmus Peverell – Original owner of The Resurrection Stone in The Tale of the Three Brothers
- Ignotus Peverell – Original owner of The Invisibility Cloak in The Tale of the Three Brothers.
- Irma Pince – Hogwarts librarian
- Sturgis Podmore – Member of the Order of the Phoenix, imprisoned in Azkaban
- Poppy Pomfrey – Hogwarts school nurse
- Harry Potter – Main character of the series, son of James Potter and Lily Evans.
- James Potter – Harry Potter's father, murdered by Lord Voldemort before the series begins.
- Lily Potter (née Evans) – Harry Potter's mother, murdered by Lord Voldemort before the series begins.
- Quirinus Quirrell – Defence Against the Dark Arts professor in Harry's first year, possessed by Lord Voldemort in Philosopher's Stone
- Helena Ravenclaw/The Grey Lady – Daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw, stole her mother's diadem and hid it, killed by the Bloody Baron and became Ravenclaw's house ghost.
- Rowena Ravenclaw – Co-founder of Hogwarts, mother of Helena Ravenclaw
- Mary Riddle – Muggle wife of Thomas Riddle, mother of Tom Riddle Sr, mother-in-law of Merope Gaunt, killed by her grandson Tom Marvolo Riddle/Lord Voldemort.
- Thomas Riddle – Muggle husband of Mary Riddle, father of Tom Riddle Sr, killed by his grandson Tom Marvolo Riddle/Lord Voldemort.
- Tom Riddle Sr – Muggle husband of Merope Gaunt, son of Thomas and Mary Riddle, killed by his son Tom Marvolo Riddle/Lord Voldemort.
- Tom Marvolo Riddle – see Lord Voldemort
- Augustus Rookwood – Death Eater, spy working in the Department of Mysteries
- Scabior – Snatcher who captures Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in Deathly Hallows, Slytherin student at Hogwarts
- Newt Scamander – Author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, among other books. Headmaster and, Hufflepuff student at Hogwarts
- Rufus Scrimgeour – Head of the Auror Office, replaces Cornelius Fudge as Minister for Magic, killed, presumably by Death Eaters, in The Deathly Hallows
- Kingsley Shacklebolt – Auror, replaces Pius Thicknesse as Minister for Magic, member of the Order of the Phoenix
- Stan Shunpike – Conductor of the Knight Bus, Death Eater (possibly under Imperius Curse)
- Rita Skeeter – Reporter for the Daily Prophet, author of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore, Animagus
- Horace Slughorn – Former Potions professor at Hogwarts and Head of Slytherin House, taught Tom Marvolo Riddle, fights against the Death Eaters
- Salazar Slytherin – Co-founder of Hogwarts, Parseltongue, ancestor of the Gaunt family and Lord Voldemort
- Hepzibah Smith – Elderly, wealthy antique collector, descendant of Helga Hufflepuff, murdered and robbed by Tom Marvolo Riddle
- Zacharias Smith – Hufflepuff student, member of Dumbledore's Army, deserted before the Battle of Hogwarts
- Severus Snape – Hogwarts, Potions and later Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, Head of Slytherin House, a member of both the Death Eaters and the Order of the Phoenix.
- Alicia Spinnet – Chaser on the Gryffindor Quidditch team from 1991-1996, two years above Harry Potter at Hogwarts. Member of the DA.
- Pomona Sprout – Hogwarts Herbology professor, Head of Hufflepuff House
- Pius Thicknesse – Minister for Magic while under the Imperius Curse, later replaced by Kingsley Shacklebolt in the book, killed by Lord Voldemort in Part 2 of the final movie
- Dean Thomas – Gryffindor student in Harry's year, member of Dumbledore's Army, briefly Ginny Weasley's boyfriend, Gryffindor Quidditch Chaser.
- Andromeda Tonks (née Black) – Daughter of Cygnus Black III and Druella Rosier, disowned for marrying Muggle-born Ted Tonks, sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy, mother of Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks), grandmother of Teddy Remus Lupin, cousin of Sirius Orion and Regulus Arcturus Black, aunt of Draco Malfoy
- Nymphadora Tonks – Daughter of Ted Tonks and Andromeda Black, disowned by the Black family for being half-blood, Auror, metamorphmagus, wife of Remus Lupin, mother of Teddy Remus Lupin, cousin of Draco Malfoy, killed by her aunt Bellatrix during the Battle of Hogwarts
- Ted Tonks – Muggle-born husband of Andromeda Black, father of Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks), grandfather of Teddy Remus Lupin, uncle of Draco Malfoy, killed by Death Eaters
- Sybill Patricia Trelawney – Hogwarts Divination professor, predicted the prophecy that prompted Lord Voldemort to go after the Potters
- Dolores Jane Umbridge – Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, Hogwarts High Inquisitor, Headmistress of Hogwarts, eventually sent to Azkaban for crimes against Muggle-borns, claims relation to the pure-blood Selwyn family
- Romilda Vane – Hogwarts Student who tried to romance Harry with Chocolate Cauldrons containing a love potion from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes
- Septima Vector – Arithmancy professor at Hogwarts
- Lord Voldemort – The antagonist of the series, murderer of Harry Potter's parents and many others.
- Arthur Weasley – Ministry of Magic employee at the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office, husband of Molly Weasley, father of Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny Weasley, member of the Order of the Phoenix
- Bill Weasley – Oldest son of Arthur and Molly Weasley, Gringotts employee, husband of Fleur Delacour
- Charlie Weasley – Second son of Arthur and Molly Weasley, formerly Gryffindor Quidditch Seeker and school prefect, member of the Order of the Phoenix, works with dragons in Romania
- Fred Weasley – Son of Arthur and Molly Weasley and identical twin brother of George Weasley, member of Dumbledore's Army, Gryffindor Quidditch Beater, co-owner of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
- George Weasley – Son of Arthur and Molly Weasley and identical twin brother of Fred Weasley, member of Dumbledore's Army, Gryffindor Quidditch Beater, co-owner of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
- Ginny Weasley – Only daughter and youngest child of Arthur and Molly Weasley, Gryffindor student one year under Harry, Gryffindor Quidditch Seeker and Chaser, member of Dumbledore's Army. She marries Harry.
- Molly Weasley (née Prewett) – Wife of Arthur Weasley, mother of Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron and Ginny Weasley, member of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Percy Weasley – Third son of Arthur and Molly Weasley, Gryffindor prefect and Head Boy, Ministry of Magic employee, long estranged from his family before joining them against the Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows,
- Ron Weasley – Harry's close friend, youngest Son of Arthur and Molly Weasley, Gryffindor Quidditch Keeper, school prefect, member of Dumbledore's Army.
- Oliver Wood – Hogwarts student, Gryffindor Quidditch Keeper and captain, Keeper for Puddlemere United.
- Yaxley – Death Eater, defeated by George Weasley and Lee Jordan
- Blaise Zabini – Slytherin student in Harry's year, friends with Draco Malfoy.
Characters with no or unknown surname
- Algie - Great-uncle of Neville Longbottom who tried to "startle" the magic out of him by endangering Neville's life repeatedly. Gave Neville his toad Trevor as a gift when Neville finally showed his first known bit of accidental magic.
- Aragog – Acromantula belonging to Rubeus Hagrid, lives in the Forbidden Forest, dies in Half-Blood Prince.
- Arnold - Ginny's pygmy puff she got before her fifth year, one of many bred by her twin brothers for sale in their shop.
- Bane - Centaur, not very wizard-friendly.
- Beedle the Bard – Author of several Wizarding fairy tales, including The Tale of the Three Brothers
- The Bloody Baron – Slytherin House ghost, suitor and killer of Helena Ravenclaw, killed himself in remorse
- Buckbeak (a.k.a. Witherwings) – Hippogriff belonging at various times to Rubeus Hagrid, Sirius Black, and Harry Potter
- Sir Cadogan – Armoured and somewhat mad knight occupying a painting in Hogwarts
- Crookshanks – Half-cat/half-kneazle belonging to Hermione Granger
- Dobby– House-elf originally belonging to the Malfoy family, accidentally set free by Lucius Malfoy due to Harry's intervention in Chamber of Secrets. Killed by Bellatrix Lestrange while saving Harry Potter's life.
- Fang – Boarhound belonging to Rubeus Hagrid
- The Fat Friar – Hufflepuff House ghost
- Fridwulfa - Female giant, mother of Grawp and Hagrid according to the Daily Prophet.
- The Fat Lady – Witch in the painting that conceals the entrance to the Gryffindor common room
- The Fawcetts - Magical family living somewhere around Ottery-St.Catchpole.
- Fawkes – Phoenix belonging to Albus Dumbledore, saved Harry Potter from Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets
- Firenze – Centaur, professor of Divination at Hogwarts
- Fluffy – Three-headed dog belonging to Rubeus Hagrid, protector of the philosopher's stone
- Grawp – Giant, half-brother of Rubeus Hagrid
- Griphook – Goblin, works at Gringotts Bank, killed by Lord Voldemort
- Hedwig – Owl belonging to Harry Potter, killed by a killing curse that missed Harry
- Hermes - Owl Percy received from his parents before his fifth year when he was made prefect.
- Hokey – House-elf belonging to Hepzibah Smith
- Jugson - Death Eater.
- Kreacher – House-elf belonging to the Black family, and later Harry Potter. Though at first preferring to serve the pureblood line (including Regulus Black, Narcissa Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Draco Malfoy), he eventually likes serving under Harry as he treats him better, giving him Regulus' locket as a gift.
- Magorian - Centaur.
- Moaning Myrtle – Muggle-born Ravenclaw student during Tom Marvolo Riddle's time at Hogwarts, killed by the Basilisk in a girl's bathroom, which she continued to haunt (after she was banished while haunting Olive Hornby).
- Mrs Norris – Cat belonging to Argus Filch
- Great Aunt Muriel – Great aunt of the Weasley children
- Nagini – Snake belonging to Lord Voldemort, attacked Arthur Weasley, killed Severus Snape
- Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington/Nearly Headless Nick – Gryffindor House ghost
- Norbert/Norberta – Dragon belonging to Rubeus Hagrid, later secretly moved to the Dragon Reserve in Romania by friends of Charlie Weasley.
- Peeves – Hogwarts poltergeist, a mischievous magical creature.
- Pigwidgeon "Pig" – Scops Owl belonging to Ron Weasley
- Madam Rosmerta – Proprietor of the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade
- Scabbers – Pet rat belonging to Percy and later Ron Weasley; eventually revealed as unregistered Animagus Peter Pettigrew, used to be one of the group of friends "the Marauders" who nicknamed his rat-form "Wormtail".
- Selwyn - Death eater.
- Trevor – Toad belonging to Neville Longbottom
- Winky - A female house elf who originally belonged to Bartemius Crouch Sr., but was sacked by him when evidence emerged that she had used magic at The Quidditch World Cup. Currently working at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
- Wormtail - Nickname his friends gave Peter Pettigrew while he was still in school for his animagus-form of a rat. Preferred form of address instead of Pettigrew used (probably as a cruel reminder of the treason of his friends) by Voldemort.
- Ovid. "Book IV". Fasti. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
Other references can be found within the articles themselves.
- Wizards and Witches A to Z from the Harry Potter Lexicon (fansite)
- J.K. Rowling...A Day in the Life documentary from ITV