August 10, 1991 |
Buffalo, New York, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||226 lb (103 kg; 16 st 2 lb)|
|NHL team||Buffalo Sabres|
|NHL Draft||104th overall, 2009
Marcus Foligno (born August 10, 1991) is a Canadian-American professional ice hockey player, who currently plays for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected 104th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Foligno was born in Buffalo, New York, the son of former NHL player and Sabre Mike Foligno and Janis Foligno. Janis died in 2009 from cancer. Although Marcus was born in the United States, both of his parents are Canadian, making him a dual citizen. Marcus is the younger brother of current Columbus Blue Jacket Nick Foligno. He also has 2 sisters named Lisa and Cara. Cara works in Buffalo, and Lisa works in Peterborough, Ontario. Marcus grew up in the mining community of Sudbury and played for the Sudbury Wolves during his junior career.
Foligno was called up to the Buffalo Sabres on December 19, 2011. He made his NHL debut on December 20, playing against the Senators, and his brother. Foligno's second career start came March 10, 2012 again pitted against his brother and the Ottawa Senators. He netted his first career goal at 14:06 in the third period, which tied the game; Buffalo eventually won the game in a shootout.
Like his brother, Foligno used their father's "Foligno Leap" as his first career goal celebration. However on Marcus' first goal, he was unsure that he actually scored. As a result, Marcus used the "Leap" on his next goal in Buffalo on March 14, 2012. 
Foligno wore 82 during his first season with the Sabres, but switched to 17 (the same number as his father) during the 2012 development camp.
Foligno was reassigned to the Americans immediately before the 2012 NHL lockout.
|2006–07||Sudbury Nickel Capitals||NOHA||35||23||17||40||74||8||2||5||7||40|
Awards and honours
|Competitor for Canada|
|World Junior Championships|
- Invited to take part in Canada’s 2011 National Junior Team selection camp
- Selected to the 2011 Team Canada World Junior U20 team roster for the Buffalo, NY IIHF championship tourney.
- Won silver medal at the 2011 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships
- NHL Rookie of the Month – March 2012
- Foligno attends fund raiser honouring late mom | Hockey | Sports. Toronto Sun (2010-02-08). Retrieved on 2013-04-01.
- "Marcus & Nick: brothers apart". Iihf.com. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- SABRES AGREE TO TERMS WITH MARCUS FOLIGNO. Press release. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- Vogl, John (2011-05-26). Sabres order room service, sign Foligno. The Buffalo News. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- Severins, Lacey. Will Sabres' Foligno follow his father's path?. WGR. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- Sabres vs. Senators – 03/10/2012 – Buffalo Sabres – Recap. Sabres.nhl.com (2013-02-04). Retrieved on 2013-04-01.
- Hoppe, Bill. (2012-03-15) Sabres foil Foligno's leap – Olean Times Herald: Sports – Sabres foil Foligno's leap: Sports. Olean Times Herald. Retrieved on 2013-04-01.
- Foligno named March's rookie of the month – Cross Checks Blog – ESPN. Espn.go.com (2012-04-02). Retrieved on 2013-04-01.