Sherels in a 2013 game against the Washington Redskins
No. 35 Minnesota Vikings
|Cornerback / Return specialist|
|Date of birth:September 30, 1987|
|Place of birth: Rochester, Minnesota|
|High school: Rochester (MN) John Marshall|
|Undrafted in 2010|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Minnesota Vikings|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
Marcus Sherels (born September 30, 1987) is an American football cornerback and return specialist for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. Sherels attended John Marshall High School in Rochester, Minnesota and went on to play for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, earning a scholarship after initially joining the football program as a walk-on.
2010 Minnesota's Pro Day
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 9 in||175 lb||4.37 s||1.41 s||2.52 s||4.07 s||6.97 s||40 in||10 ft 1 in||12 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine.|
Signed as an undrafted free agent in the 2010 preseason, Sherels was waived by the Vikings on September 4, 2010 and signed to the practice squad on September 6. On September 28 Sherels was released to make room on the practice squad for tight end John Nalbone. As of October 13, Sherels was resigned to the Vikings practice squad and Nalbone released. This move, along with the signing of Frank Walker to the active squad, was made due to the season-ending injury sustained by cornerback Cedric Griffin who was placed on injured reserve the same day. On January 1, 2011, Sherels was elevated to the active 53-man squad after safety Madieu Williams was placed on injured reserve.
On September 30, 2012 (Sherels' 25th birthday), in an away game at the Detroit Lions, Sherels recorded his first career touchdown on a 77-yard punt return. Sherels gave the Vikings a 14-point lead in a 20-13 win.
For the 2013 season Sherels leads the NFC with a 13.6 yard average on Punt returns and leads the league in fair catches with 26. On December 8 Sherels got his first career interception on Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco. On March 7, 2014, the Vikings resign Sherels for 2 years.
Minnesota Vikings franchise records
- Longest punt return for a touchdown by a Viking: 86 yards (2013)
- Vikings Single-Season Punt Return Average: 15.2 (2013)
- Mizutani, Dane. "Marcus Sherels goes from maroon to purple". The Minnesota Daily, October 18, 2011. Retrieved on May 23, 2013.
- "Adrian Peterson-Oklahoma RB-2007 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". Nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved November 28, 2008.
- Seifert, Kevin. "NFC North Friday injury report". ESPN.com, December 31, 2010. Retrieved on May 23, 2013.
- Powers, Tom. "Marcus Sherels makes Vikings' win something special". St. Paul Pioneer Press, September 30, 2012. Retrieved on May 23, 2013.