Marcus W. Robertson
|Marcus William Robertson|
February 12, 1870|
|Died||May 24, 1948
|Place of burial||Pine Grove Cemetery, Hood River, Oregon|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Unit||2nd Oregon Volunteer Infantry Regiment|
World War I
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Marcus William Robertson (February 12, 1870 – May 24, 1948) was a United States Army soldier and a recipient of America's highest military decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions on the Philippine-American War.
Marcus Robertson enlisted in the United States Army from Hood River, Oregon in May 1898, and by May 16, 1899 was serving as a private in Company B of the 2nd Oregon Volunteer Infantry Regiment. On that day, near San Isidro in the Philippines, Private Robertson helped to rout a large enemy force despite being greatly outnumbered. For his actions, he was presented with the Medal of Honor on April 28, 1906. He later rose to the rank of stable Sergeant and served in France during World War I.
Medal of Honor citation
Rank and organization: Private, Company B, 2d Oregon Volunteer Infantry. Place and date: Near San Isidro, Philippine Islands, May 16, 1899. Entered service at: Hood River, Oreg. Birth: Flintville, Wisconsin Date of issue: April 28, 1906.
- With 21 other scouts charged across a burning bridge, under heavy fire, and completely routed 600 of the enemy who were entrenched in a strongly fortified position.
Edward E. Lyon (left) and Marcus W. Robertson in Manila, Philippines
- "Marcus W. Robertson". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. Retrieved 2007-11-26.
- "Medal of Honor recipients - Philippine Insurrection". United States Army Center of Military History. 2007-07-16. Retrieved 2007-09-05.
Media related to Marcus W. Robertson at Wikimedia Commons
- Marcus W. Robertson at Find a Grave
- "Photo of Grave site of MOH Recipient Marcus William Robertson". HomeOfHeroes.com. Retrieved 2007-09-05.
|This biographical article related to World War I United States Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|