Marcus Williams (footballer)
|Full name||Marcus Vincent Williams|
|Date of birth||8 April 1986|
|Place of birth||Doncaster, England|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|2010||→ Peterborough United (loan)||3||(0)|
|2010–2011||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||9||(0)|
|2011||→ Sheffield United (loan)||11||(0)|
|2013–2014||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:48, 20 October 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Marcus Vincent Williams (born 8 April 1986) is a professional footballer who plays for Scunthorpe United as a defender. Born in Doncaster, England he started his career at Scunthorpe before moving to Reading and then to Sheffield United. Williams has signed for Scunthorpe on four separate occasions, twice on a permanent contract and twice on loan, as well as spending a short period on loan with Peterborough United.
Williams began his career as a trainee with Scunthorpe United, turning professional on 1 July 2003 and originally wore the number 17 shirt.
He joined Reading on a free transfer on 11 May 2010, signing a three-year deal after he turned down a new contract at Scunthorpe. At the start of the 2010-11 season Williams rejoined Scunthorpe United on loan until the end of the season.
The following season Williams went out on loan once more, agreeing a month's stay at Sheffield United to act as defensive cover making his début the same day in a 3-0 home loss to Huddersfield Town. With this deal about to expire it was extended for a further two months to keep him at Bramall Lane until December of that year. Williams returned to United on the opening day of the transfer window, this time on a permanent deal, signing a two and a half year deal on a free transfer from Reading. Following his transfer however, Williams rarely featured for the Blades and spent much of the following eighteen months sat on the side lines. With the arrival of new manager David Weir, Williams was restored to the starting line up for the opening games of the 2013–14 season. Williams failed to hold down a regular place in the United team however, and following the arrival of new manager Nigel Clough Williams re-joined Scunthorpe United for a third time at the end of November.
Return to Scunthorpe United
- "Reading sign Scunthorpe United's Marcus Williams". BBC Sport. 11 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Royals swoop to sign Williams". Reading F.C. 11 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Blades swoop for left back cover". Sheffield United F.C. 13 September 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Loan extension for Marcus". Sheffield United F.C. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Sheffield United sign Marcus Williams from Reading". BBC Sport. 1 January 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Back in the reckoning". Sheffield United F.C. Official Web Site. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Scunthorpe re-sign Sheffield United's Marcus Williams". BBC Sport. 28 November 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Williams Completes Move". Scunthorpe United F.C. 10 January 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Sheffield United Official player profile
- Marcus Williams player profile at scunthorpe-united.co.uk
- Marcus Williams career stats at Soccerbase