|Full name||Marek Matějovský|
|Date of birth||20 December 1981|
|Place of birth||Brandýs nad Labem, Czechoslovakia|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|1986–1990||Slavoj Stará Boleslav|
|1990–1994||Alfa Brandýs nad Labem|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 June 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Matějovský started his football career at the age of five with Slavoj Stará Boleslav, progressing to Alfa Brandýs nad Labem at the age of 13. After turning 18, he signed professional terms with Mladá Boleslav for the 1999–2000 season, who were then playing in the Czech 2. Liga. In the spring of 2001, he switched to Gambrinus liga team Jablonec, but returned to Mladá Boleslav in January 2003. After settling back into the team, he helped them win promotion to the Gambrinus liga for the start of the 2004–05 season, where they remained for the rest of Matějovský's stay at the club. He was promoted to captain of Mladá Boleslav at the start of the 2005–06 season.
Matějovský's performances in the Czech Republic alerted big clubs elsewhere in Europe to his ability, and he was linked with moves to Liverpool, Hamburg and Steaua Bucharest. However, it was announced on 7 January 2008 that Reading had signed Matějovský on a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around £1.42million.
Nick Hammond said, "Marek is primarily a central midfield player but he is also capable of playing in both wide positions or behind the strikers – he is a player we have been following for some time, and when the opportunity arose to sign him it was too good to turn down." Brian McDermott kept an eye on him for roughly 18 months, and had seen him in action a number of times. He said "He's captain of his club, and has played all their games in the last three years except when he's been suspended. That's the type of guy he is."
He made his debut for Reading on 19 January 2008 in a 2–0 home defeat to Manchester United, coming on as an 80th minute substitute for Bobby Convey. His first start for Reading was in another 2–0 home defeat, this time to Bolton Wanderers on 2 February 2008. Matějovský scored his first goal for Reading on 15 March 2008, with a spectacular 20-yard effort against Liverpool.
Return to the Czech Republic
Matějovský has also been capped nine times by the Czech Republic national football team. Karel Brückner first called him up as a replacement for the injured David Jarolím for the Czech Republic's Euro 2008 qualifier against Wales on 2 September 2006, but had to wait until 7 February 2007 to make his international debut as a 70th minute substitute in a friendly with Belgium, coming on for Tomáš Galásek and assisting the second goal in a 2–0 win.
He scored his only international goal so far in the Czech Republic's 3–0 win over Germany in Munich, also hitting the post, to cement their place at Euro 2008. He started the second and third group games at the Euro 2008 but was taken off with an injury against Turkey.
|1.||17 October 2007||Munich, Germany||Germany||2–0||3–0||UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying Group D|
- "Matejovsky's complete factfile". readingfc.co.uk. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "Royals to sign Matejovsky". readingfc.co.uk. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Matejovsky signs three-and-a-half-year deal with Reading". Sky Sports. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Reading to sign Czech midfielder". BBC Sport. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Scout report on Matejovsky". readingfc.co.uk. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-08.
- "Valiant Royals beaten by United". readingfc.co.uk. 19 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-19.
- "Royals beaten by Wanderers". readingfc.co.uk. 2 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-03.
- "Liverpool 2–1 Reading". BBC Sport. 15 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "V kabině je dál největší lídr Řepka, říká nový kapitán Matějovský". idnes.cz. 15 March 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-31. (Czech)
- "Czech's Jarolim out of Wales tie". BBC Sport. 28 August 2006. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- Marek Matějovský international stats at the Football Association of the Czech Republic website (Czech)
- Profile at iDNES.cz
- Marek Matějovský profile at readingfc.co.uk
- Marek Matějovský career stats at Soccerbase