Margaret Graham, Countess of Menteith
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2010)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2011)|
|Margaret Graham, Countess of Menteith|
Doune Castle, Perthshire, Scotland
|Died||4 May 1380
|Spouse(s)||Sir John Moray, Lord of Bothwell, Thomas, 9th Earl of Mar, Sir John Drummond, Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany|
|Children||Janet, Mary, Margaret, Joan, Beatrice, Isabella, Marjorie, Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke of Albany.|
Margaret Graham, Countess of Menteith (1334–1380) was a Scottish noblewoman. She married four times, becoming Countess of Menteith and, in 1361, Duchess of Albany. Her fourth and last husband was Sir Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany, who became Regent of Scotland from 1406 until his death in 1420. Her son Murdoch Stewart became the second Duke of Albany, but was executed for treason by King James I of Scotland in 1425.
Margaret Graham was the only daughter of John Graham and Mary II, Countess of Menteith. She was born in Doune Castle, Stirlingshire, Scotland. Margaret's grandfather served as second-in-command to Sir William Wallace, fighting alongside Wallace during the Scottish Wars of Independence. He was killed at the disastrous Battle of Falkirk on 22 July 1298, when the Scottish army was routed by Edward I of England.
Sir John was buried in Falkirk Old Parish Church. The inscription reads:
Here lyes Sir John the Grame, baith wight and wise,
Ane of the chiefs who rescewit Scotland thrise,
Ane better knight not to the world was lent,
Nor was gude Graham of truth and hardiment 
She was married four times. First, to Sir John Moray, Lord of Bothwell (son of Sir Andrew Moray and Lady Christina Bruce). No issue. Then she was married to Thomas, 9th Earl of Mar but they were divorced circa 1359. No issue. Thirdly, she was married to Sir John Drummond of Concraig.
Duchess of Albany
Her last marriage in 1361 was to Sir Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany (son of Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland and Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan). Sir Robert Stewart was a member of the Scottish Royal House and later served as regent to three different Scottish monarchs.
The Duke and Duchess of Albany had eight children:
- Lady Janet Stewart
- Lady Mary Stewart (married to sir William Abernathy,6th of Saltoun)
- Lady Margaret Stewart (married to Sir John Swinton, 14th of that Ilk)
- Lady Joan Stewart (Sir Robert Stewart, 1st Lord of Lorn and had descendants)
- Lady Beatrice Stewart (married to James Douglas, 7th Earl of Douglas)
- Lady Isobel Stewart (married first, Alexander Leslie, 7th Earl of Ross and secondly to Walter Haliburton, 1st Lord Dirleton and had descendants.
- Lady Marjorie Stewart (married Duncan Campbell, 1st Lord Campbell| and had descendants)
- Murdoch Stewart (1362–1425), 2nd Duke of Albany (married to Joan Douglas and later to Isabel, Countess of Lennox).
- Margaret Countess of Menteith at www.thepeerage.com Retrieved January 2011
- Margaret Countess of Menteith at www.geni.com Retrieved January 2011
- Margaret Countess of Menteith at the National Archive wiki pages Retrieved January 2011
- "Falkirk". Statistical Account of Scotland 19. 1791–1799. p. 100.
- The Complete Peerage Vol.3 Page 667