Margaret Hoover guest hosting on The View
|Born||Margaret Claire Hoover
December 11, 1977
|Spouse||John Avlon (2009–present)|
Margaret Claire Hoover (born December 11, 1977) is a political commentator, political strategist, media personality, gay rights activist, and author. She is the best selling author of the book American Individualism: How A New Generation of Conservatives Can Save the Republican Party published by Crown Forum in July 2011. Her work is committed to renewing the Republican Party to enable it to connect with a new generation of Americans, even as it remains true to the principles of individual freedom and fiscal conservatism and continues to champion a robust U.S. foreign policy.
Washington Post columnist Jennifer Rubin wrote that "Hoover is an engaging personality with timely advice for Republicans. Her book and her message, if seen as a way to expand rather than divide the party, are helpful guides to candidates and political operatives. And frankly, the Republican Party of New York, among the most incompetent and unproductive of the GOP’s state parties, might do well to get her on the ballot somewhere in 2012."
She is a great-granddaughter of former U.S. President Herbert Hoover and her work is committed to publicizing Herbert Hoover's legacy as a humanitarian and pioneer of the international non-governmental organization, as well as his other many achievements. She appeared in a PBS documentary, "Landslide", in 2010.
Hoover worked in the White House for the administration of George W. Bush as the Associate Director of Intergovernmental Affairs. She worked on President Bush's re-election campaign in 2004 and was Deputy Finance Director to Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid in 2006–2007. She also worked as a staffer on Capitol Hill for Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart and as Advisor to the Deputy Secretary at the Department of Homeland Security.
In October 2011, she debated Howard Dean and Jeff Maddrick in an IQ Squared Debate at New York University over the sustainability of current entitlement obligations to a new generation of Americans.
She is on the Board of Overseers at Stanford University's Hoover Institution, and on the boards of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library Association and the Belgian American Educational Foundation. Hoover serves on the Advisory Council of The American Foundation for Equal Rights and GOProud.
In January 2013, she helped found American Unity Fund, a non-profit organization to dedicated to advancing the cause of freedom for gay and lesbian Americans by making the conservative case that freedom truly means freedom for everyone. American Unity fund works in partnership with other national LGBT organizations to help mobilize Republican support for marriage and non-discrimination, and other LGBT issues at the state and federal level.
From 2008 to 2012, Hoover was a Fox News contributor where she starred on Bill O'Reilly's top rated show The O'Reilly Factor. In the branded segment "Culture Warrior", her jousting with Bill O'Reilly on a range of topics from entertainment news, to popular culture, to Hollywood and politics, was The Factor's highest rated segment.
She is a regular guest of Bill Maher's Real Time on HBO, and has appeared on NBC's Today, CBS's The Early Show, ABC's Good Morning America, at MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, C-SPAN, C-SPAN Book TV, and a PBS documentary about her great-grandfather (Landslide, 2010).
In 2014, she hosted the Toyota Solutions Studio at the Women In The World conference held at Lincoln Center where Hoover interviewed several participants including comedian Sarah Silverman and her sister Rabbi Susan Silverman, the Peruvian poetess Senna, Ambassador Fatuma Ndangiza, and United Nations Under-Secretary General Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka.
Hoover received primary education at Graland Country Day School in Denver, Colorado. She earned a B.A. in Spanish Literature with a minor in Political Science from Bryn Mawr College in 2001. She also attended Davidson College for two years, where she was a member of Warner Hall.
Hoover was born in Colorado and is married to fellow CNN contributor John Avlon, a former Rudy Giuliani speechwriter and senior columnist for Newsweek and Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Beast. She welcomed her first child, Jack, at 7:23 p.m. EST Aug. 14, 2013. Hoover on Real Time with Bill Maher says that she engages in breastfeeding with Jack.
Advocate For Gay Rights
She is an advocate for gay rights, including gay marriage, arguing that individual freedom and marriage are conservative values. She testified before the Maryland State Senate on behalf of gay marriage in January 2011, took an active role in the 2012 battle to win gay marriage in New York state, and has lobbied New Hampshire legislators encouraging them not to repeal freedom to marry. She has been profiled in The Advocate as "exactly the brand of straight ally we need right now". Chad Griffin asked her to serve on the Advisory Board of The American Foundation for Equal Rights, the non-profit organization funding the Prop 8 Trial (Hollingsworth v. Perry), and is a co-chair and founder of the group Young Conservatives for the Freedom to Marry. In 2014 Hoover introduced Evan Wolfson at the 10th anniversary celebration of Freedom To Marry. She was introduced by Cynthia Nixon who said Hoover "appeals to the pragmatism of the millennial generation, she believes constitutionally guaranteed rights ought to transcend left versus right, and Democrat versus Republican, and she does so with savvy, skill and style."  She serves as the Presidents of American Unity PAC, which elects pro-LGBT Republicans to Congress and American Unity Fund which supports the work of pro-freedom Republicans nationally.
- American Individualism: How a New Generation of Conservatives Can Save the Republican Party, Margaret Hoover, 2011, Crown Forum (ISBN 978-0307718150)
- "Margaret Hoover, John Avlon". The New York Times. 2009-11-08.
- Hoover, Margaret (2011). American Individualism: How a New Generation of Conservatives Can Save the Republican Party. Crown Forum.
- Hoover, Margaret. "How the GOP Can Win Young Voters". Wall Street Journal.
- Rubin, Jennifer (2011-07-17). "Interview Margaret Hoover The GOPS And The Millennials". Washington Post.
- "Herbert Hoover: Landslide". PBS Presents. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- Twocents, Polly. "Author Margaret Hoover Sure to Ruffle Feathers at Barnes and Noble Tonight". The Iowa Republican.
- Smith, Chris. "Giuliani Loses a Second Bushie".
- "Legistorm". Legistorm.
- Margaret, Hoover. "How the GOP Can Win Young Voters". The Wall Street Journal.
- Hoover, Margaret. "The conservative case for gay marriage: GOP is not the party of intolerance". New York: Daily News.
- Hoover, Margaret. "The Return of Big Government". The Daily Beast.
- Hoover, Margaret. "Fox News/Margaret Hoover: My Fellow Conservatives, Think Carefully About Your Opposition to Gay Marriage". American Foundation for Equal Rights.
- Intelligence Squared. "GRANDMA’S BENEFITS IMPERIL JUNIOR’S FUTURE". Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Hoover Institution. "Board of Overseers".
- American Foundation for Equal Rights. "Advisory Council Board". American Foundation for Equal Rights.
- "A Note from Jeff & Margaret".
- "How the GOP Can Win Young Voters".
- "The conservative case for gay marriage: GOP is not the party of intolerance".
- "Opinion: Failure to attract millennials is sinking the GOP".
- "GOP begins to 'get it' on same-sex marriage".
- "Why I’m Joining the Fight for Marriage Equality".
- "Rwandan Leaders: Toyota Solutions Studio".
- "John Avlon". The Moderate Voice.
- "John Avlon". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Norfleet, Gregory R. "Jack joins Hoover lineage". West Branch Times. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Wikipedia. "Real Time with Bill Maher Episodes 2014". Wikipedia. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Margaret, Hoover. "The conservative case for gay marriage: GOP is not the party of intolerance". New York: The Daily News.
- Bolcer, Julie. "New York Senate Republicans Thanked for Marriage With $1.2 Million".
- Press Release Archive. "FOX News Commentator Margaret Hoover, following NHRFE PAC Legislative Breakfast". New Hampshire Insider.
- Advocate Contributors. "A New Conservative Agenda". The Advocate.
- "Margaret Hoover Introduces Evan Wolfson at 'Cheers to 10 Years' Event". YouTube.
- "American Unity PAC".
- "The Pro-Freedom Republicans Are Coming: 131 Sign Gay Marriage Brief". The Daily Beast. 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- "About Us - American Unity PAC".