|Margaret Theodora Meyer|
|Died||27 January 1924|
|Known for||Mathematical astronomy|
Margaret Theodora Meyer (September 1862 – 27 January 1924), also known as Maud Meyer was a British mathematician. She was one of the first directors of studies in mathematics, and one of the earliest members of the London Mathematical Society. In 1916, she was the first woman to be elected a fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Meyer was born in Ulster to a Presbyterian minister, Theodore Jonah Meyer, and his wife Jane Ann. She had an older brother, Sir William Stevenson Meyer, who served as first high commissioner for India. Meyer spent time in Italy before attending the North London Collegiate School for Girls, then enrolled at Girton College, Cambridge in 1879 and attained an MA from Trinity College in Dublin.
In 1888 Meyer became a resident lecturer in mathematics at Girton College, where she remained for 30 years. During World War I, Meyer undertook calculational work for the British War Office in her spare time. In 1918 she resigned from work at the college and worked for the British Air Ministry, which related to aircraft design and construction.
Meyer had an interest in astronomy, as part of her degree concerned mathematical astronomy. She carried out much unpublished work on the subject. In 1916, she was the first woman to be elected to the Royal Astronomical Society.
Meyer carved, and supervised students in the carving, of the oak paneling around the chancel of the college chapel at Girton College. She also had a passion for mountain climbing, and was a member and later president of the Ladies' Alpine Club.
Meyer died in a collision with a bus while cycling in 1924. In her will, she bequeathed £2000 to Girton College for the benefit of women mathematics students, an additional £1000, and a collection of mathematics books.
- "Re Margaret Theodora Meyer, Deceased". The London Gazette. 4 May 1926. p. 3054. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- The Observatory: A monthly review of astronomy, Volumes 47-48. Taylor and Francis. 1924. p. 99.
- "London Mathematical Society History". London Mathematical Society. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- Creese, Mary R. S. (October 2009). "Meyer, Margaret Theodora (1862–1924)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 24 October 2012.(subscription required)
- Stephen, Barbara (17 June 2010). Girton College 1869–1932. Cambridge University Press. pp. 186–187. ISBN 978-1-108-01531-8. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "Ladies Alpine Club Archive". The Alpine Club. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Obituary Notices : Fellows : Meyer, Margaret Theodora". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (London: Royal Astronomical Society/Weldon & Wesley) 85: 314–315. February 1925. Bibcode:1925MNRAS..85R.314. provided by SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) and published at Digital Library for Physics and Astronomy operated by Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO).