Margaret Weis Productions
|Headquarters||Williams Bay, Wisconsin, United States|
Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd. is a games publisher located in Williams Bay, Wisconsin, United States and founded in 2004 after Margaret Weis and Don Perrin, the two founders of Sovereign Press, Inc divorced.
Margaret Weis Productions is principally a producer of Tabletop role-playing games, although it also publishes some e-books by Margaret Weis and in 2008 published the Dragon Lairds boardgame, created by James M. Ward and Tom Wham. To date almost all their role-playing games have been licensed games using either the Cortex System or Cortex Plus.
Cortex System games
MWP's first game was the Serenity in late 2005 to coincide with the release of Joss Whedon's feature film Serenity. Due to licensing issues they couldn't use any of the characters that appeared exclusively in the television series Firefly. The company received a Gamer's Choice Best Roleplaying Game of the Year Origins Award and the Gold Medal in the Best Production Values of the 2006 ENnie Awards for this game. Two Serenity supplements have won Origins Awards for Best Roleplaying Game Supplement: Serenity Adventures, in 2009, and Big Damn Heroes Handbook, in 2010.
Cortex Plus games
In 2010 Margaret Weis Productions published the Smallville Roleplaying Game using the new Cortex Plus system, which won the Judges Spotlight award at the 2011 Ennies. This was followed in 2011 with the Leverage: The Roleplaying Game RPG, nominated for the 2011 Origins Award for best RPG.
In February 2012, Margaret Weis Productions launched Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, the fourth licensed role playing game in the Marvel. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying went on to win the 2012 ENnie Award for Best Rules, and the silver awards for Best Game and Product of the Year. In 2013 the basic set won the Origins Award for the Best Roleplaying Game and the Civil War Event Book won Best Roleplaying Supplement. In April 2012, they announced that for economic reasons they would not be renewing the license.
On November 8, 2013, Margaret Weis Productions announced that a new Firefly RPG would be available for pre-order, having previously launched a playtest version at Gen Con 2013. This will use a different system from the previous Serenity RPG. It also suffers a mirror of the Serenity license in that it only licenses characters that appeared in the Firefly TV series
List of games
- Serenity Role Playing Game (2005)
- Battlestar Galactica Role Playing Game (2007)
- Cortex System Role Playing Game (2008)
- Demon Hunters Role Playing Game (2008, based on the films Demon Hunters and Demon Hunters: Dead Camper Lake by Dead Gentlemen Productions)
- Dragon Lairds (2008, a board game)
- Supernatural Role Playing Game (2009)
- Leverage: The Roleplaying Game (2010)
- Smallville Roleplaying Game (2010)
- Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (2012)
- Firefly Roleplaying game (2014)
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Ward, James M.; Tom Wham (2008). Dragon Lairds. ISBN 978-1-931567-60-2.
- 2005 Origins Award winners announced.
- 2006 ENnie Awards Winners
- 35th Origins Awards Winners
- Origins 2010: Origins Awards Winners
- RPG Geek listing
- RPG Geek Supernatural profile
- Rpg Geek profile of Smallville
- RPG Geek profile
- Margaret Weis Productions Press Release
- 2012 Ennie Awards
- ICv2 list of the 39th Origins Award Winners
- web.archive.org record of the press release
- MWP Press release
- Nearly Enough Dice review of the Gencon exclusive preview