Marginal artery of the colon
|Marginal artery of the colon|
Frontal view of the abdominal aorta and the territory supplied by the inferior mesenteric artery. The arteries on the right side (left side of image) arise from the superior mesenteric artery (SMA). The marginal artery (not labeled) connects the middle colic artery (a branch of the SMA) to the left colic artery (a branch of the IMA).
Colonic blood supply (Marginal artery is #9)
|Latin||arteria marginalis coli|
|superior mesenteric artery, inferior mesenteric artery|
In human anatomy, the marginal artery of the colon, also known as the marginal artery of Drummond and artery of Drummond (named after Sir David Drummond (1852-1932) an English physician), is a blood vessel that anastomoses (connects) the inferior mesenteric artery (IMA) with the superior mesenteric artery (SMA). It is sometimes absent, as an anatomical variant.
Along with branches of the internal iliac arteries, it is usually sufficiently large to supply the oxygenated blood to the large intestine covered by the inferior mesenteric artery and is a reason that in abdominal aortic aneurysm repair the inferior mesenteric artery does not have to be re-implanted (re-attached) into the repaired abdominal aorta.
The Marginal Artery of Drummond runs in the mesentery close to the bowel as part of the vascular arcade that connects the SMA and IMA. This artery is almost always present and its absence should be considered a variant.
The Arc of Riolan (Riolan's arcade, Arch of Riolan, Haller's anastomosis), also known as the meandering mesenteric artery, is another vascular arcade present in the colonic mesentery that connect the proximal middle colic artery with a branch of the left colic artery. This artery is found low in the mesentery, near the root. In the setting of chronic ischemic colitis, both the marginal artery and the meandering mesenteric artery may be enlarged significantly, and may provide significant blood flow to the ischemic colonic segment.
- Marginal branch of the right coronary artery, sometimes referred to as the marginal artery.
- Marginal artery (disambiguation)
- Abdomen - University of Manitoba
- "Marginal artery of drummond". Medcyclopaedia. GE. Archived from the original on 2012-02-05.
- Anatomy figure: 39:01-02 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Branches of the superior mesenteric artery."
- Anatomy figure: 39:02-02 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Branches of the inferior mesenteric artery."