September 12, 1960 |
|Occupation||Book author, freelance journalist, professor, lecturer|
Mifflin holds an M.A. in journalism from New York University and a B.A. in English from Occidental College in Los Angeles, where she was friends with Barack Obama, an experience she has written about in her New York Times op-ed, "The Occidental Tourist."
She is an associate professor in the English Department of Lehman College (City University of New York) and co-director of the Arts and Culture program at CUNY’s Graduate School of Journalism.
Her book "Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo", became the first history of women's tattoo art when it was released in 1997. A third edition was published in 2013. She has lectured on tattoo history at colleges, universities and museums nationally, and appeared in the documentaries "Women and Tattoo” (MSNBC, 2001) and “Women of the Ink” (CNN, 1998).
- Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo. Juno Books, 1997. ISBN 1-890451-00-2; Powerhouse Books, 2013, 978-157687-613-8.
- The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman. University of Nebraska Press, 2009. ISBN 0-8032-1148-1; Bison Books (paperback) 978-0-8032-1148-3.
- Margot Mifflin, author website
- Department of English, Lehman College, CUNY website
- CUNY Graduate School of Journalism website
- The Blue Tattoo, prologue
- "Why More Women Are Getting Tattoos": Margot Mifflin speaking with Katie Couric on "Katie" (ABC)
- New York Times review of Bodies of Subversion
- "Prof. Margot Mifflin Writes Biography of 19th Century Pioneer Olive Oatman"
- "My Most Spectacular Failure: a Student Transcends his Circumstances but not his Demons"
- "Hate the Brand; Love the Man: Why Ed Hardy Matters"
- "Inkside Out: Visual Artists are Incorporating Tattoo Imagery and Techniques Into Their Art"
- "A Secret History of Women and Tattoos"
- "Remembering Obama at Occidental"
- An English Professor Explores the Roots of a 19th Century Chin Tattoo"
- "The Occidental Tourist"
- Margot Mifflin on the Leonard Lopate Show
- "Taking It On The Chin" review of "The Blue Tattoo"
- "A Blank Human Canvas: The Literary Tattoo Leaps From the Page to Living Parchment"
- Entertainment Weekly articles by Margot Mifflin
- Salon.com essays by Margot Mifflin
- Village Voice articles by Margot Mifflin