Robbie at the 2011 Logie Awards
2 July 1990 |
Dalby, Queensland, Australia
Margot Elise Robbie (born 2 July 1990) is an Australian actress. She first came to prominence for her role as Donna Freedman on the soap opera Neighbours (2008–11), which earned her two Logie Award nominations. After moving to America, Robbie starred as Laura Cameron in the ABC drama series Pan Am (2011–12) and has appeared in films such as About Time (2013), The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) and Focus (2014).
Born in Dalby, Queensland, Robbie grew up on Queensland's Gold Coast, splitting her time between the beach and her grandparents' farm. When she was seventeen years old, she moved to Melbourne to begin acting professionally. She graduated from Somerset College on the Gold Coast in 2007.
Robbie has been acting professionally since 2007, when she starred in two feature films, I.C.U. and Vigilante. After impressing the director with her performance during an audition, she won the lead in I.C.U. without an agent at the time. Robbie also acted in commercials and had guest roles in The Elephant Princess and City Homicide as Caitlin Brentford.
Robbie began appearing as Donna Freedman on Neighbours from June 2008. The character was originally only a guest role, but she was soon promoted to a regular cast member. In an interview with Digital Spy, Robbie said she had gone on a snowboarding holiday to Canada with her boyfriend soon after auditioning, but had to return after only two days when told that she had won the role.
In early 2009, Robbie appeared in various Network Ten promotions, featuring an ensemble of popular Australian faces on the network. In July 2009, she filled the "Generation Y" guest spot on the Network Ten show Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation. Robbie also became a Youth Ambassador for missing persons as part of National Youth Week.
In the same year, Robbie was nominated for Most Popular New Female Talent at the Australian Logie Awards. She was also nominated for Favorite Hottie at the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards and was up against her Neighbours co-star Dean Geyer. In September 2010, Robbie announced that she was to leave Neighbours after almost three years to pursue an acting career in Hollywood. Her final scenes aired on 26 January 2011 and in April of that year, Robbie was nominated for Most Popular Actress at the Logie Awards.
After arriving in Los Angeles for pilot season, Robbie auditioned for the new series of Charlie's Angels. However, the producers at Sony Pictures Television preferred her for a role in ABC drama series Pan Am. Robbie landed the role of Laura Cameron, a newly trained flight attendant. Pan Am was cancelled after one season due to falling ratings, despite receiving positive reviews from critics. In May 2012, Fiona Bryne of the Herald Sun reported Robbie had joined the cast of Richard Curtis' romantic comedy, About Time. The following month Digital Spy's Zeba Blay announced Robbie was in talks to appear in Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street. Linette Lopez from the Business Insider confirmed Robbie's casting in August. For her performance as Naomi Lapaglia, Robbie received nominations for Best Supporting Actress from the Georgia Film Critics' Association and the MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance. She won the Empire Award for Best Newcomer.
Robbie has joined the cast of Matthew Michael Carnahan's upcoming film Violent Talent. She will also appear in Suite française, an adaptation of Irène Némirovsky's novel. Robbie is set to star in the upcoming comedy Focus. She will also star in the film adaptation of Z for Zachariah, which is being shot in New Zealand. Robbie will be appearing as Jane in David Yates's Tarzan, scheduled for release on 1 July 2016. On 3 September 2014, Jeff Sneider from The Wrap reported that Robbie was in early talks for the lead role in Rupert Sanders' live-action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. The following day, Mike Fleming Jr from Deadline.com reported that Robbie was also in talks to star in the film The Mountain Between Us helmed by Hany Abu-Assad, and co-starring Sons of Anarchy actor Charlie Hunnam. On 16 October, Robbie was approached by Warner Brothers for the upcoming 2016 DC Comics supervillain film Suicide Squad. On 10 November, Robbie was confirmed to star in the film as Harley Quinn.
In 2009, Robbie began living with her Neighbours co-star Ashleigh Brewer. Following her decision to quit Neighbours, she announced that she was moving to live with her former co-star Caitlin Stasey in Los Angeles, California. During her time on Pan Am, she lived in New York City, New York.
|2013||The Wolf of Wall Street||Naomi Lapaglia||Empire Award for Best Newcomer
Nominated – Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Ensemble Cast
Nominated – Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Acting Ensemble
Nominated – Detroit Film Critics Society Award for Best Ensemble
Nominated – Georgia Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actress
Nominated – Georgia Film Critics Association Award for Best Ensemble
Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance
|2015||Z for Zachariah||Ann Burden||Post-production|
|2016||Suicide Squad||Harleen Quinzel / Harley Quinn||Pre-production|
|2008||Review with Myles Barlow||Kelly||Episode: "1.1"|
|2008||Elephant Princess, TheThe Elephant Princess||Butterfly (uncredited)||Episodes: "The Butterfly Effect" and "Butterfly Kiss"|
|2008||City Homicide||Caitlin Brentford||Episode: "Somersaulting Dogs"|
|2008–11||Neighbours||Donna Freedman||Nominated – Logie Award for Most Popular New Female Talent (2009)
Nominated – Silver Logie Award for Most Popular Actress (2011)
|2011–12||Pan Am||Laura Cameron|
- Ramsdell, Laurenne (22 August 2011). "Marketing the world's most experienced airline: Dover business works to keep Pan Am brand alive". Foster's Daily Democrat. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Laura Cameron Bio". American Broadcasting Company. Archived from the original on 26 September 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Miller, Katie (14 April 2009). "Margot Robbie still girl next door". Gold Coast. Archived from the original on 25 September 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2010.
- "Happy Birthday Margot Robbie". Neighbours.com. Australia: Network Ten. Archived from the original on 2 September 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2008.
- "Margot Robbie". Neighbours.com.au. Network Ten. Archived from the original on 21 May 2009. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Donna Freedman". Holy Soap. Channel 5. Archived from the original on 30 June 2009. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (14 January 2010). "Neighbours Star Reveals Audition Shock". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi UK. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- AFP Missing Persons – Youth Week
- "51st Annual TV Week Logie Awards winners". TV Week. Ninemsn. Retrieved 6 March 2010.
- "Kids, Vote for Margot!". Neighbours.com. Australia: Network Ten. Retrieved 6 March 2010.
- Elferink, Birgitta (14 September 2010). "Margot Robbie quits!". TV Week. Ninemsn. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- Yeap, Sue (3 April 2011). "Marais, Gibney to compete for Gold Logie". The West Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- Shearer, Geoff (15 September 2011). "Margot Robbie gets her US TV wings". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (10 February 2011). "'Law & Order: Criminal Intent' Gets New Captain, 'Pan Am' Gets First Stewardess". Deadline.com. Mail.com Media. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- Bryne, Fiona (26 May 2012). "Margot Robbie still on high despite show's axing". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- Blay, Zeba (19 June 2012). "'Pan Am' star Margot Robbie in talks for 'Wolf of Wall Street'". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Lopez, Linette (23 August 2012). "We've Read The Script For The Wolf Of Wall Street — Here Are The 15 Scenes We Can't Wait To See". Business Insider. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Lodge, Guy (6 January 2014). "2013 Georgia Film Critics' Association nominations". HitFix. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Eames, Tom (6 March 2014). "American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street lead MTV Movie Awards nominations". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Willis, Tania; Leyfield, James (30 March 2014). "'I've never won an award before': Margot Robbie stuns in scarlet red gown as she leads the winners at the Empire Film Awards". Daily Mail. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- White, James (13 May 2013). "Garrett Hedlund Finds Violent Talent". Empire. Bauer Media Group. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Rosser, Michael (27 June 2013). "Suite Francaise shoot begins". Screendaily. EMAP. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Kroll, Justin (15 July 2013). "'Wolf of Wall Street' Actress Margot Robbie Lands Female Lead Opposite Will Smith in 'Focus' (Exclusive)". Variety. PMC. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (18 January 2014). "'Wolf of Wall Street' Star Margot Robbie in Talks for 'Tarzan' – She's Jane (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Comers, Matilda (21 January 2014). "Margo Robbie scores female lead in Z for Zachariah". Australians in Film. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (11 February 2014). "'Tarzan' to Swing Into Theaters July 1, 2016". Variety. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (3 September 2014). "Margot Robbie in Talks to Star in DreamWorks' 'Ghost in the Shell' (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike. "Charlie Hunnam & Margot Robbie In Talks For 'The Mountain Between Us'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Armitage, Hugh (16 October 2014). "Will Smith, Tom Hardy and Margot Robbie eyed for Suicide Squad movie.". Digital Spy. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Goldberg, Matt (November 10, 2014). "Exclusive: Margot Robbie to Play Harley Quinn in SUICIDE SQUAD". Collider. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Shearer, Geoff (15 May 2009). "Teenager Ashleigh Brewer lands part with Neighbours". The Courier-Mail (Queensland Newspapers). Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (4 November 2010). "'Neighbours' star reveals Hollywood plans". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi UK. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Margot Robbie.|
- Official website
- Margot Robbie at the Internet Movie Database
- Margot Robbie at The Perfect Blend, a Neighbours fan site
- Ramsay St gets a new generation A Sydney Morning Herald article