|Born||9 October 1958
|Education||cand.mag. (regional planning, 1981)
MA (international economics, 1982)
mag.art. (sociology, 1995)
|Alma mater||University of Tromsø, College of Europe, University of Oslo|
|Employer||University of Oslo, Work Research Institute, National Institute of Technology, Regional Development Fund|
Margunn Bjørnholt (born 9 October 1958 in Bø, Telemark) is a Norwegian sociologist, social psychologist, economist, men's studies scholar, a pracademic in the field of ethical banking, and a former civil servant and business consultant who has worked to promote female entrepreneurship.
She has studied public policy, contemporary history, regional planning, economics and European integration. She holds a cand.mag. degree in regional planning from the University of Tromsø (1981), an MA in international economics from the College of Europe in Bruges, Belgium (Promotion Johan Willem Beyen 1981–1982) and a mag.art. degree (i.e. US PhD equivalent) in economic sociology from the University of Oslo (1995), with a dissertation on microfinance, ethical and interest-free banking (Pengene mot strømmen).
She has worked at the Regional Development Fund, at the National Institute of Technology, and as a partner in a consultancy, promoting regional development and entrepreneurship, with a particular emphasis on female entrepreneurship. She has later been a researcher at the Work Research Institute and the Department of Sociology and Human Geography, University of Oslo, and is now director of Policy and Social Research AS and an associate member of the research group Rights, Individuals, Culture and Society at the University of Oslo Faculty of Law. She has been invited as a visiting scholar at Emory University School of Law (the Feminism and Legal Theory Project) in Atlanta (2012) and GEXcel Centre of Gender Excellence at Örebro University (2013), and has served as a national expert on gender equality to the European Commission DG for Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities.
She is an expert on work–family arrangements and gender equality, and, in particular, men's role and agency in social change towards more egalitarian work–family arrangements. Other research fields include feminist legal theory, social justice, feminist economics, microfinance, ethical banking, public sector reform and management, qualitative research methods and cultural sociology.
In recent years her research has focused on fathers and sons, and she has carried out a follow-up study 30 years later of Erik Grønseth's pioneering, experimental gender equality research from the 1970s, which studied gendered patterns of breadwinning and care. The follow-up study, which was funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Affairs and the Research Council of Norway, has received much attention in Norway and abroad. She is currently involved in a cross-national comparative study on work–life balance in Poland and Norway with a grant from the EEA and Norway Grants, and in research on feminist legal theory and feminist economics.
She was involved in the ethical banking movement in the 1990s as chair of a working group attempting to start a bank in Norway modelled after JAK Members Bank in Sweden. She is chair of CINI (Child In Need India) Norway, has been Vice President (during Torild Skard's presidency) and acting President of the Norwegian Association for Women's Rights (since 2012), is a board member of the International Alliance of Women, an INGO with general consultative status with UN ECOSOC, a board member of the Nordic Women's University, and was elected President of the Norwegian Women's Lobby in 2014.
- Bjørnholt, M.; McKay, A. (2014). "Advances in Feminist Economics in Times of Economic Crisis." In M. Bjørnholt and A. McKay (eds.), Counting on Marilyn Waring. New Advances in Feminist Economics (pp. 7–20). Bradford: Demeter Press. ISBN 9781927335277.
- Bjørnholt, M.; McKay, A. (eds) (2014). Counting on Marilyn Waring. New Advances in Feminist Economics. Bradford: Demeter Press. With a foreword by Julie A. Nelson. ISBN 9781927335277.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2014). "Changing men, changing times; fathers and sons from an experimental gender equality study". The Sociological Review 62 (2).
- Bjørnholt, M. (2014). "Theorising love, work and family in early Norwegian family research and today." In A.G. Jónasdóttir and A. Ferguson (eds), Love—A Question for Feminism in the Twenty-First Century. London/New York: Routledge (Routledge Advances in Feminist Studies and Intersectionality). ISBN 0415704294.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2013). "The vulnerability approach: A way of bridging the equality–difference dilemma?". Retfærd: Nordic Journal of Law and Justice 36 (3): 25–44.
- Bjørnholt, M.; Farstad, G.R. (2012). "‘Am I rambling?’ On the advantages of interviewing couples together" (PDF). Qualitative Research 14 (1): 3–19. doi:10.1177/1468794112459671.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2012). "From Work-Sharing Couples to Equal Parents. Changing Perspectives of Men and Gender Equality". In Krekula, C.; Åberg, M.; Samuelsson, M.J. Gender and Change. Power, Politics and Everyday Practices. Karlstad: Karlstad University Press. ISBN 978-91-86637-05-7.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2011). "Kilder til begjær, inderlighet til besvær? Om tradisjon, fornyelse og faglig refleksjon i folkedansen" (PDF). Musikk og tradisjon 25: 101–119.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2011). "Et bærekraftig pengesystem." In V.R. Synnevåg and R.E. Solheim (eds.), Framtidsfrø. Spirer for en bedre verden. Tingvoll: Abrakadabra forlag. ISBN 8277800614.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2011). "How Men Became the Local Agents of Change towards Gender Equality" (PDF). Journal of Gender Studies 20 (1): 3–18. doi:10.1080/09589236.2010.514210.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2010). "Like Father, Like Son? The Transmission of Values, Family Practices and Work-Family Adaptations to Sons of Work-Sharing Men" (PDF). Fathering: A Journal of Theory, Research and Practice about Men as Fathers 8 (3): 276–299. doi:10.3149/fth.0803.276.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2010). "Part-Time Work and the Career and Life Choices of the Men from the Work-Sharing Couples Study" (PDF). Equality, Diversity and Inclusion 29 (6): 573–592. doi:10.1108/02610151011067513.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2010). "Den norske likedelingsmodellen. Fra samfunnskritikk til hegemonisk styringsmodell" (PDF). Sosiologi i dag 40 (1–2): 35–56.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2009). "Fathers and sons. Gender socialization and intergenerational transmission revisited" (PDF). Nordic Journal for Masculinity Studies 4 (1): 83–102.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2009). "Norwegian Work-Sharing Couples Project 30 years later. Revisiting an experimental research project for gender equality in the family" (PDF). Equal Opportunities International 28 (4): 304–323. doi:10.1108/02610150910954773.
- Heen, H.; Bjørnholt, M.; Knudsen, W. (2008). "Distance work: in the intersection between technology, politics and organization". Journal of E-Working 2 (1): 1–11.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2007). The good, the bad and the ugly; endring av mannsrollen, fedrerettigheter og likestilling. In Å. Eldén and J. Westerstrand (eds.), Guts and Glory: Festskrift till Eva Lundgren. Uppsala: Uppsala University. ISBN 978-91-506-1977-5.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2006). Bruk av tradisjonskunnskap hos bunadprodusenter i Telemark i dag. In R. Hutchison (ed.), Lokale tråder – tråkling gjennom tekstil- og lokalhistorie. Oslo: Norwegian Institute of Local History. ISBN 82-8186-002-2.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2005). "Farsrettigheter og mødres handlingsrom". Tidsskrift for familierett, arverett og barnevernrettslige spørsmål 3 (4): 259–278.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2005). "Hvorfor er folkedrakt så viktig i Norge og marginalt i nabolandene?". Nordic Journal of Cultural Policy 8 (2): 34–50.
- Bjørnholt, M.; Knudsen, W.; Lissner, T. (2005). "Gender and distant work relations." In M. Cunningham and P. Cunningham (eds), Innovation and the knowledge economy. Amsterdam, Berlin, Oxford, Tokyo, Washington DC: IOS Press. ISBN 978-1-58603-563-1.
- Knudsen, W.; Bjørnholt, M.; Lissner, T. (2004). "New public management and distant work." In M. Cunningham and P. Cunningham (eds), eAdoption and the knowledge economy. Amsterdam, Berlin, Oxford, Tokyo, Washington DC: IOS Press. ISBN 1-58603-470-7.
- Bjørnholt, M.; Heen, H. (2004). Fjernarbeid i Statens vegvesen. Erfaringer med bruk av fjernarbeid i omstilling av en statlig virksomhet. [Distant work in the Norwegian Public Roads Administration. Experiences with distant work in the restructuration of a state agency]. Oslo: Work Research Institute. WRI report series 2004:3. ISBN 82-7609-137-7.
- Bjørnholt, M. (2002). Erfaringer med hjemmekontorløsninger i statstjenesten. [Experiences with home offices in the state administration]. Oslo: Work Research Institute. WRI report series 2002:1. ISBN 82-7609-111-3.
- Bjørnholt, M. (1995). Pengene mot strømmen; alternative finansieringsorganisasjoner. Oslo: University of Oslo. ISBN 82-570-0438-3.
- Dieter Mahncke, Léonce Bekemans, Robert Picht, eds. (1999). The College of Europe. Fifty Years of Service to Europe, College of Europe, Bruges, ISBN 9080498319
- "Biography". Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Margunn Bjørnholt". Policy and Social Research. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Margunn Bjørnholt". Emory University. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Margunn Bjørnholt". inGenere.it. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Anita Haslie (14 September 2010). "A Successful Work-Life Balance". Research Council of Norway Information Centre for Gender Research in Norway. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Belinda Luscombe (18 October 2010). "Week-On, Week-Off Parenting". TIME Magazine. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Belinda Luscombe (22 September 2010). "A Crazy 40-Year-Old Experiment Suggests Work-Life Balance Is Possible". TIME Healthland. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Johnny Gimmestad (3 October 2010). "Vekker oppsikt internasjonalt". Aftenposten. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Bosse Parbring (2011). "Delat föräldraskap, delad arbetstid". NIKK magasin (Nordic Gender Institute) 2011 (1). Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Linn Stalsberg (2011). "En krympet likestillingsdebatt". Forskningsmagasinet Apollon (University of Oslo) 2011 (1). Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Linn Hanssen (4 June 2006). "Likestilling er bra for kjærligheten". Dagbladet. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Beret Bråten (29 November 2005). "Delte arbeid ute og hjemme". Research Council of Norway Information Centre for Gender Research in Norway. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "EFFECT: Cross-national Polish–Norwegian project on work–life balance". Policy and Social Research. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Board, International Alliance of Women
- "Margunn Bjørnholt". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 16 June 2012.