|8th Assistant to the President for Public Liaison|
May 1986 – July 1987
|Preceded by||Linda Chavez|
|Succeeded by||Rebecca Range|
March 15, 1954 |
Chicago, IL, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of South Carolina|
Maseng served President Reagan in the White House on three separate occasions. She was Assistant to the President for Communications from June 1988 to January 1989. Before that she served as Director of the Office of Public Liaison from May 1986 to July 1987 and she was a member of the President's speechwriting staff from January 1981 to November 1983. She was Assistant Secretary of Transportation for Public Affairs from November 1983 to April 1985.
Maseng was Robert Dole's press secretary during his 1980 quest for the Republican Presidential nomination. She held the same job for Dole in 1987-88, until Bush clinched the nomination. For the third time Maseng was communications director of Dole's 1996 campaign.
Maseng was in charge of communications for the Rick Perry 2012 presidential campaign. She earlier worked on Michele Bachmann's presidential campaign, and offered her services to the Mitt Romney campaign.
Maseng graduated from the University of South Carolina (B.A., 1975) In 1991, she married columnist and TV commentator George Will. They have one child, a son named David, born in 1992, and live in the Washington D.C. area.
She is a director of the political action committee, Citizens for the Republic, founded in 1977 by Ronald Reagan and revived in 2009 by Craig Shirley, the author of two best-selling books on Reagan presidential campaigns.
- "Appointment of Mari Maseng as Assistant to the President for Communications". 1988-06-16.
- George Will (1996). "The columnist speaks; Mari Maseng steps down". The Masthead.
- Maseng sought work on Romney campaign, Ben Smith, Politico, November 12, 2011
- This Week 11/13, George Will, This Week (ABC TV series), November 13, 2011
- "Friendship on the fairway: Keeping it evergreen". 2008-02-11.
- "Citizens for the Republic: Who We Are". cftr.org. Retrieved September 19, 2013.