Aragon with Lady Gaga
July 17, 2000 |
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Associated acts||Lady Gaga, Filipino singers|
Maria Lourdes Aragon (born July 17, 2000) is a Canadian singer from Manitoba of Filipino descent. Aragon gained fame after a YouTube video of her performing Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" went viral.
As a YouTube sensation
On February 16, 2011, a video of Aragon performing a cover of "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga was posted to her sister's YouTube channel to showcase her talent to friends and family. The video caught Lady Gaga's attention when entertainment blogger Perez Hilton sent Gaga her "Born This Way" cover, and she was so impressed by Aragon's performance that she retweeted a link to the video. In a week, her video reached over 11 million views. As of December 21, 2012, the video had over 54 million views.
During an interview on HOT 103 in Winnipeg, Lady Gaga called into the show to tell Aragon how moved she had been by her performance. Lady Gaga then invited an already surprised Aragon to perform "Born This Way" with her at The Monster Ball Tour concert in Toronto. In Toronto, Canada, 99.9 Virgin Radio called Aragon and offered to fly her to Toronto for free. On March 3, 2011, Aragon joined Lady Gaga on stage at the Air Canada Centre, where they performed an acoustic duet of "Born This Way" with Aragon sitting on Gaga's lap, playing piano, singing and Lady Gaga working the pedals. Aragon later rejoined Lady Gaga and her team of back up dancers for an uptempo finale version of "Born This Way".
American talk show host Ellen DeGeneres took notice of her from emails and petitions requesting for Aragon's appearance on the show and eventually invited Aragon to appear on her show on February 21, 2011, where Aragon again performed "Born This Way" on the piano earning a standing ovation from the audience. On March 29, 2011, Aragon performed "Born This Way" at her home for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. She and Harper also performed a duet of John Lennon's song "Imagine".
In 2011, she appeared in commercials for HTC singing the K'naan song, Wavin' Flag and Gap Kids, singing "I Want Candy". She performed at the 2011 Canada Day concert on Parliament Hill, which included Prince William and Catherine Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge respectively, in attendance, as part of their 2011 royal tour of Canada.
2011: Trip to the Philippines and Maria Aragon
On July 20, 2011, Aragon arrived in the Philippines where she signed a contract with Star Records, the same recording company who also signed Charice. Her first self-titled album consist of seven tracks including "You're My Home", composed and originally sung by Odette Quesada and remade by Lea Salonga for the Star Cinema film, Way Back Home. Among the songs in Aragon's album is her rendition of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way", which brought her international exposure. To promote the album, she appeared on several ABS CBN shows including the musical variety show, ASAP Rocks and series of mall shows.
|Maria Aragon||1. Born This Way
2. You're My Home
3. I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing
4. Follow Your Dream
5. Can't Smile Without You
6. Kung Bubuksan Mo Lang Ang Puso
7. One Hope One Dream
- Filipino-Canadian YouTube sensation Maria Aragon arrives in Manila accessed July 21, 2011 via PEP.ph
- Filipino-Canadian Maria Lourdes Aragon sings Lady Gaga song on YouTube and becomes overnight sensation accessed on February 27, 2011 via PEP.ph
- Wiebe, Lindsay (February 19, 2010). "Pop queen goes Gaga over Winnipeg girl's voice". Retrieved February 19, 2010.
- Maria Aragon performs with Lady Gaga at the singer's concert in Toronto accessed March 4, 2011 via PEP.ph
- YouTube sensation Maria Arago seen on commercial
- "Canada Day show includes Winnipeg YouTube girl". The Canadian Press (Toronto ON). The Canadian Press. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- "Music: Maria Aragon Releases Self-Titled Album". September 3, 2011.
- Maria Aragon to sing the Way Back Home theme song accessed in July 25, 2011 via www.starcinema.com.ph
- Ginger Conejero (July 26, 2011). "Maria Aragon records her first album". ABS-CBN News.
- Napoleon Quintos (August 26, 2011). "Maria Aragon dedicates her debut album to her Filipino fans". ABS-CBN Entertainment News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maria Aragon.|