Maria Dahvana Headley
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
Maria Dahvana Headley (born June 21, 1977 in Estacada, Oregon) is an American novelist, memoirist, and playwright.
She is best known for the alternate history/fantasy novel, Queen of Kings, published in 2011. Her short story,Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream was a 2012 Nebula Award nominee, in the short story category, and originally published in Lightspeed Magazine in July 2012.
Queen of Kings
In early 2010, Dutton purchased Headley's debut novel Queen of Kings, which explores "the transcendent powers of love even beyond death, entwining the true story of Antony and Cleopatra and Rome's invasion of Alexandria with a narrative in which the Queen of Egypt sacrifices her soul to save her fallen husband and in return is transformed into an immortal goddess bent on the destruction of the Roman Empire". It was purchased as part of a trilogy deal. The hardcover was released in 2011.
The Year of Yes
In 2006, Hyperion published her memoir, The Year of Yes, an account of the year Headley spent saying yes to dates with anyone who asked her out. The Year of Yes has been optioned for the screen by Paramount Pictures and the Jinks/Cohen Company (producers of American Beauty, and Big Fish, among other films), and has been or will be translated into Korean, German, Dutch, Italian, Hebrew, and Chinese, as well as appearing in an additional English-language edition in the UK and world marketplace through HarperCollins Thorsons Element imprint. The Year of Yes is a 2006 Finalist in The Books for a Better Life Award.
The Year of Yes was released in hardcover in January 2006, and in paperback in January 2007.
The Book of the Dead, a fall 2013 anthology of science fiction & fantasy stories "all themed around the most mysterious, versatile and, perhaps, under-appreciated of the undead: the mummy," published by Jurassic London & the Egypt Exploration Society will contain Headley's mummies and candy story, Bit-U-Men.
The Lowest Heaven, a 2013 anthology of science fiction stories devoted to the solar system published by Jurassic London & The Royal Observatory Greenwich, contains Headley's short story The Krakatoan which was simultaneously published at Nightmare Magazine.
Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream was published by Lightspeed Magazine in 2012, and was a Nebula Award finalist in the short story category. It is anthologized in Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2013, ed. Rich Horton.
Headley is co-editor with Neil Gaiman on the New York Times-bestselling anthology Unnatural Creatures an anthology to benefit 826DC, containing natural history-themed monster stories by a variety of authors both living and dead, including Samuel R. Delany, E. Nesbit, Diana Wynne Jones, Nalo Hopkinson, Headley and Gaiman.
Awards and recognition
Headley is a MacDowell Colony Fellow, and has attended The Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, The Sundance Playwright's Lab, The Kennedy Center's New Visions/New Voices workshop, Brave New Works, and the WordBridge Playwright's Lab. She has received awards from the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts (N.F.A.A), and WordSmitten Media, Inc. (WordSmitten.com), among others, and her fiction has been anthologized in Susie Bright's Best American Erotica 2005 and The Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica Volume 4. She has been a featured author at Bumbershoot, Wordstock, and the Texas Book Festival.
- "Home With Trailer - Maria Dahvana Headley". Mariadahvanaheadley.moonfruit.com. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Gardner, Chris. "'Yes' men for Par pic: Jinks and Cohen will produce Headley adaptation", Variety, March 6, 2006.
- Maria Headley - HarperCollins
- "Books for a Better Life Finalists and Winners", National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- The Lowest Heaven. http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/jul/18/science-fiction-roundup-reviews
- Atkins, Amy. "A New Breed of Playwright: Author Maria Dahvana Headley debuts play at BCT", Boise Weekly, March 19, 2008.
- Maria Dahvana Headley: Divine Monsters, Locus, July 2013
- Morton, Lisa Noehealani. "Author Spotlight: Maria Dahvana Headley," Nightmare, July 2013
- Stephens, Patrick J. "Author Spotlight: Maria Dahvana Headley", Lightspeed, May 2013
- Stocks, Erin. "Author Spotlight: Maria Dahvana Headley", Lightspeed, July 2012
- Cheney, Matthew. "A Conversation with Maria Dahvana Headley", The Mumpsimus, December 27, 2005.
- Headley, Maria Dahvana. Author Archive: "Maria Dahvana Headley". PowellsBooks.Blog.
- Henderson, Susan. "Maria Dahvana Headley". LitPark, January 10, 2007.
- Miller, Brian. "Affirmative Action: How a local author dramatically improved her odds of finding a man", Seattle Weekly, February 16, 2006.
- Robinson, Tasha. "The Year of Yes", A.V. Club, February 8, 2006.
- Sachs, Andrea. "A Year in the Underbelly of Sex in the City", Time, February 10, 2006.
- Official website
- Greetings, New World - The Year of Yes - official book website
- Maria Dahvana Headley at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database