Marian Shields Robinson
|Born||Marian Lois Shields
July 30, 1937
|Residence||1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C.|
|Known for||U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama's mother|
|Home town||Chicago, Illinois|
|Spouse(s)||Fraser C. Robinson III (1935–1991, m. 1960)|
|Children||Craig Malcolm Robinson (b. 1962)
Michelle Robinson Obama (b. 1964)
|Parent(s)||Purnell Nathaniel Shields
|Relatives||Barack Obama (son-in-law)
Malia and Sasha Obama (granddaughters)
Marian Lois Robinson (née Shields; July 30, 1937) is the mother of First Lady Michelle Robinson and the mother-in-law of President Barack Obama. She is the only living grandparent of Malia and Sasha Obama.
Early life and education
Marian Shields was born in Chicago in 1937, the fourth of seven children—five girls, followed by two boys—born to Purnell Nathaniel Shields, a house painter, and his wife Rebecca Jumper, a licensed practical nurse, according to Steve Shields, her youngest sibling. Her ancestors had moved from Georgia to Chicago in the early 20th century during the Great Migration.
Robinson formerly worked as a secretary for mail-order retailer Spiegel and at a bank. Both she and her husband had extended families in Chicago, whom they saw frequently at holidays and other times.
While Michelle and Barack Obama campaigned in 2008, Robinson tended her granddaughters. Early in January 2009, it was reported that Robinson would move into the White House with the rest of the First Family in order to provide further transition support for her granddaughters. She is the first live-in grandmother there since Elivera M. Doud, the mother of Mamie Eisenhower, during the Eisenhower administration. Some media outlets have dubbed Robinson the "First Granny."
- Skiba, Katherine (March 8, 2010). "First grandma keeps low profile". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved July 24, 2010.
- LoBello, Lia (July 2, 2008). "First Families: Radar introduces you to the next president's relatives". Radar. Retrieved January 28, 2009.[dead link]
- Saslow, Eli (February 1, 2009). "From the Second City, An Extended First Family". The Washington Post. Retrieved July 24, 2010.
- Swarns, Rachel L. (January 9, 2009). "Obama’s Mother-in-Law to Move Into the White House". The New York Times. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- Sherwell, Philip (January 14, 2009). "Michelle Obama persuades First Granny to join new White House team". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- "Will Obama mum-in-law make it a family affair in the White House?". Agence France Presse. November 22, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- Swarns, Rachel L. (2012). American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-06-220465-3.
- "Marian Robinson", The New York Times
- "A Mother's Love: First Lady & Mom", Essence magazine
- "An In-Law Is Finding Washington to Her Liking ", The New York Times