February 17, 1990 |
|Height||1.62 m (5 ft 4 in)|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||500 m: 43.922 WR (2009)
1000 m: (2009)
1500 m: (2009)
3000 m: (2009)
St-Gelais, one of five siblings, began skating at the age of 10 when her neighbour encouraged her to join the local speed skating club. Her younger sister Catherine, 15, and brother Bastien 13, still skate competitively.
Marianne calls Saint-Félicien, Quebec her hometown but currently resides in Montreal with boyfriend and fellow short track team member Charles Hamelin. St-Gelais as well as boyfriend Hamelin made Hello Canada's 50 most beautiful Canadians list in 2010.
As an accomplished junior skater, and world record holder, St-Gelais placed first overall at the 2007 Canada Games with four gold (500m, 1000m, 3000m and relay) and one silver medal (1500m). St-Gelais was named team Canada's "rising star" of 2009. Marianne St-Gelais is the 2009 world junior champion and world junior record holder in the 500 metres with a time of 43.922 seconds. St-Gelais won her first ever World Cup medal in 500m short track speed skating at Vancouver in 2009.
St-Gelais was a member of the Canadian team that attended the 2010 Winter Olympics in both the 500m and 3,000m relay. Prior to these Olympic games she had yet to win any medals at an Olympics or world championships. On February 17, her 20th birthday, she won a silver medal in the 500 metres. She followed this success with a silver medal on February 24, in the 3,000 metre relay, along with Jessica Gregg, Kalyna Roberge and Tania Vicent. After the Olympics St-Gelais continued on her success at the Olympics with a bronze in the 500m at the 2010 World Championships as well as a silver in the 3,000m relay. At the World Team Championships St-Gelais was a part of the Canadian squad that won silver in the event. This concluded what was the most successful season of her young career, with 2 Olympic silvers, 2 world championship silvers, and a world's bronze.
- http://www.canada.com/sports/2010wintergames/Gelais%20racing%20towards%202010%20Olympics/1448962/story.html Neighbour
- http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/my-car/olympic-hopeful-loves-to-go-fast-on-and-off-the-ice/article1411246/ St-Gelais and Hamelin
- "Fresh faces make Hello Canada's most beautiful list". CTV. May 13, 2010. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/story/2009/12/23/spf-qualifiers1223.html Olympic Qualified
- Lukas, Jennifer (February 17, 2010). "St-Gelais sees silver lining on her 20th birthday". CTV Olympics. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- "Canada's Winter Games Medals". Sporting News. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- Lukas, Jennifer (February 24, 2010). "Canada takes silver in women's 3,000m relay". CTV Olympics. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- "Medal haul continues". Sportsnet. March 20, 2010. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- "Canada's St-Gelais wins 500 m World Cup title". CBC Sports. February 20, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marianne St-Gelais.|