Marich Man Singh Shrestha
|Marich Man Singh Shrestha
मरिचमान सिंह श्रेष्ठ
|28th Prime Minister of Nepal|
15 June 1986 – 6 April 1990
|Preceded by||Nagendra Prasad Rijal|
|Succeeded by||Lokendra Bahadur Chand|
1 January 1942|
Khalanga Bazar, Salyan District, Nepal
|Died||15 August 2013
|Spouse(s)||Bishnu Devi Shrestha|
|Children||Anil, Sanjaya, Rashmi, Ranjan|
Marich Man Singh Shrestha (Nepali: मरिचमान सिंह श्रेष्ठ; 1 January 1942 – 15 August 2013) was a Nepalese politician and former Prime Minister of Nepal. He was born in 1942 in Khalanga Bazar, Salyan, Nepal.
He served as Prime Minister of Nepal from 15 June 1986 to 6 April 1990. Prior to that he was Speaker of the National Assembly of Nepal. He was a member of the Newar community and was the first member of that ethnic group to become prime minister.
In his office, he braved the sixteen months long ordeal of economic blockade ( March 23, 1989) imposed on Nepal by India. He was responsible for the mass suppression of democratic forces during the Mass Movement of 2046 BS(1989 AD)and this act highly degraded his status. He was dismissed by the King Birendra during political tensions in which protestors called for multiparty elections. Subsequently a draft constitution was introduced which allowed for direct elections to a bicameral parliament.
Shrestha was brought to the Kathmandu from New Delhi-based Medicity Hospital, where he had been undergoing treatment and was on ventilator support. He told family members that he wished to die in his own country and was air lifted to Kathmandu. Shrestha died of lung cancer at 3:00 on 15 August 2013 at Norvic Hospital, Kathmandu.
- Nepal Who's who - Google Books. Books.google.ca. 2008-06-04. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Former Nepal PM Marich Man Singh Shrestha dies". BBC. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Taylor & Francis Group (2004). Europa World Year Book 2. Taylor & Francis. p. 3042. ISBN 1-85743-255-X.
- History and Government
- "Former Nepal Prime Minister Shrestha passes away". The Hindu. August 15, 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Former PM Marich Man diagnosed with lung cancer - Detail News : Nepal News Portal". The Himalayan Times. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Nepal's No. 1 News Portal". ekantipur.com. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
Nagendra Prasad Rijal
|Prime Minister of Nepal
1986 – 1990
Lokendra Bahadur Chand
|This article about a Nepalese politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|