Marie-Luise Gothein (1863–1931) was a Prussian scholar, gardener and author. She wrote the monumental History of Garden Art, regarded as a standard work. It was published in German in 1913 and English in 1928. After the deaths of her husband and her sons in the First World War. Gothein travelled east and wrote a book on Indian gardens.
It is said to be the "best and most comprehensive" history of the world's gardens.
She was quoted as saying "The journey through the history of the garden is to walk through the garden of history. People, nations, generations, we are learning in their intimate, domestic habits, their scientific interests, their living and thinking, its solemnity, its decoration."
- History of Garden Art. Volume 1: From Egypt to the Renaissance in Italy, Spain and Portugal. Volume 2: From the Renaissance to the present day in France. Published with the support of the Royal Academy of Construction in Berlin. Diederichs, 1914 ISBN 978-3-424-00935-4
- Gothein, Marie-Luise Schröeter (1863-1931); Wright, Walter P. (1864-1940); Archer-Hind, Laura; Alden Hopkins Collection (1928) . History of Garden Art 2. London & Toronto, New York: J. M. Dent; 1928 Dutton. ISBN 978-3-424-00935-4. 945 pages Publisher: Hacker Art Books; Facsimile edition (June 1972) ISBN 0-87817-008-1; ISBN 978-0-87817-008-1.
- Maria Effinger, Karin Seeber (Hrsg.):"Es ist schon eine wunderbare Zeit, die ich jetzt lebe": Die Heidelberger Gelehrte Marie Luise Gothein (1863-1931). Eine Ausstellung der Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg, Winter, Heidelberg 2014, ISBN 978-3825363079 (German)
- "Marie-Luise Gothein". Gardenvisit.com The Garden and Landscape Guide. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Marie Luise Gothein quotes
- 'Es ist schon eine wunderbare Zeit, die ich jetzt lebe'. Die Heidelberger Gelehrte Marie Luise Gothein online exhibition (German)
|This article about a German historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|