Justin Timberlake on the May 2003 cover
|Editor||Arnaud de Contades (France)
Anne Fulenwider (U.S.)
Marie O'Riordan (UK)
Jackie Frank (Australia)
Neena Haridas (India)
|Publisher||Groupe Marie Claire (France)
Hearst Corporation (U.S.)
IPC Media (UK)
|Language||Distributed in 24 languages|
Marie Claire is an international monthly magazine for women. First published in France in 1937, various editions are published in many countries and languages. The United States edition focuses on women around the world and several global issues. Marie Claire magazine also covers health, beauty, and fashion topics.
Marie Claire was founded by Jean Prouvost and Marcelle Auclair. Its first issue appeared in 1937, and was distributed each Wednesday. In 1976, Prouvost retired and his daughter Évelyne took over the magazine and added L'Oréal Group to the company.
The U.S. edition of Marie Claire was started by the Hearst Corporation, based in New York City, in 1994. Hearst has branch offices in France, Italy, and several locations in the United States such as Detroit, the West Coast, New England, the Midwest, the Southwest, and the Southeast. The Esquire Network reality television series Running In Heels follows three interns working in the NYC office of the magazine. Marie Claire UK is part of IPC Media, based in London. In 2006, it launched its website with segments on daily news, catwalk show, photographs and reports, fashion and beauty, buys of the day, daily horoscopes and competitions. In Australia, Marie Claire magazine is part of Pacific Magazines, the magazine publishing arm of television network Seven. The Marie Claire website provides daily fashion, beauty and lifestyle news to Yahoo!7. In addition to France, the UK and U.S., and Australia, Marie Claire is published in Belgium (released in two different editions beginning in 1961 and 1990, respectively), Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Kuwait, Latin America, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.
The Japanese-language edition of Marie Claire, first published in 1982, which was the first international edition published in a non-French speaking territory, as well as the first non-European edition, ceased publication after the 9 September issue went on sale in July 2009, due partly to the economic downturn. However, since 2012, Marie Claire has been published in Japan under the name Marie Claire Style. International editions of Marie Claire have also been discontinued in Estonia (published between 2007 and 2010), Germany, India, Philippines, and Poland.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "ABC Certificates and Reports: Marie Claire". Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
ABC July - December 2013, print and digitial editions.
- "Avec Jean Prouvost, Marcelle Auclair fonda « Marie-Claire » magazine féminin inspiré des magazines américains" (p. 319). In: Touret, André (2005). Destins d'Allier: 1945-2000: population et économie, les grands événements et l'évolution de l'opinion, portraits. Éditions Créer. ISBN 9782848190587. OCLC 2418285. (351 pages).
- Alexandra Hughes; Keith A Reader (11 March 2002). Encyclopaedia of Contemporary French Culture. Routledge. p. 357. ISBN 978-1-134-78866-8. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Marie Claire France". Fashion Model Directory (FMD). Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "The Group History". Marie Claire Group. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Japan's Marie Claire edition to end". The Japan Times. 1 July 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2009.
- "People, GEO, Marie Claire to cease publication". Best Media Info.
- "Outlook Shuts Thee Magazines". Medianama.
- "UPDATED: Farewell T3, Marie Claire, and Seventeen: You will be missed". Abuggedlife.com. 17 March 2009. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Poland Marie Claire". Wirtualnemedia.pl.
- Marie Claire US
- Marie Claire UK
- Marie Claire Turkey
- American Marie Claire – magazine profile at Fashion Model Directory