|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
Justin Timberlake on the May 2003 cover
|Editor||Arnaud de Contades (France)
Anne Fulenwider (U.S.)
Marie O'Riordan (UK)
Jackie Frank (Australia)
Neena Haridas (India)
|Publisher||Groupe Marie Claire (France)
Hearst Corporation (U.S.)
IPC Media (UK)
|Language||Distributed in 24 languages|
Marie Claire is an international monthly magazine for women. First published in France, various editions are published in many countries and languages. The United States edition focuses on women around the world and several worldwide issues. Marie Claire magazine also covers health, beauty, and fashion topics.
Jean Prouvost and Marcelle Auclair founded the magazine. Its first issue appeared in 1937, and was distributed each Wednesday. One version says, that in 1942, German occupation authorities in France stopped the distribution of most magazines, and Marie Claire was one of them. This seems to be untrue, as Marie Claire was successfully published throughout 1943 and most of 1944 (with the interval of 10 days), which makes it plausible that it was closed down in the autumn of 1944 by the Allied forces for having been too successful[clarification needed] under the occupation. The magazine was not redistributed until 1954. At this time, it became a monthly publication. In 1976, Prouvost retired and his daughter Évelyne took over the magazine and added L'Oréal Group to the company.
Marie Claire US edition was started by the Hearst Corporation, based in New York City, in 1994. Hearst has branch offices in France, Italy, and several locations in the United States such as Detroit, the West Coast, New England, the Midwest, the Southwest, and the Southeast.
Marie Claire UK is part of IPC Media, based in London. In 2006, it launched its website www.marieclaire.co.uk with segments on daily news, catwalk show, photographs and reports, fashion and beauty, buys of the day, daily horoscopes and competitions.
In Australia, Marie Claire magazine is part of Pacific Magazines, the magazine publishing arm of Australian TV network, the Seven Network. The Marie Claire website provides daily fashion, beauty and lifestyle news to Yahoo!7.
The reality series Running In Heels follows three interns working in the NYC office of the magazine.
In addition to France, Marie Claire is published in Australia, Belgium (released in two different editions began in 1961 and 1990, respectively), Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Kuwait, Latin America, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and United States.
The Japanese-language edition of Marie Claire, first published in 1982, the first international edition published in a non-French speaking territory, as well as the first non-European edition, ceased publication after the 9 September issue went on sale in July 2009, due partly to the economic downturn. However, Marie Claire continues in Japan with the name Marie Claire Style in 2012.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "ABC Certificates and Reports: Marie Claire". Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 14 February 2014. "ABC July - December 2013, print and digitial editions."
- "Avec Jean Prouvost, Marcelle Auclair fonda « Marie-Claire » magazine féminin inspiré des magazines américains" (p. 319). In: Touret, André (2005). Destins d'Allier: 1945-2000: population et économie, les grands événements et l'évolution de l'opinion, portraits. Éditions Créer. ISBN 9782848190587. OCLC 2418285. (351 pages).
- "Marie Claire France". Fashion Model Directory (FMD). Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "The Group History". Marie Claire Group. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Japan's Marie Claire edition to end". The Japan Times, 1 July 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2009.
- People, GEO, Marie Claire to cease publication
- "UPDATED: Farewell T3, Marie Claire, and Seventeen: You will be missed « Jayvee Fernandez | Pinoy Tech, Diving, Gadgets". Abuggedlife.com. 2009-03-17. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Marie Claire US
- Marie Claire UK
- Marie Claire Turkey
- American Marie Claire – magazine profile at Fashion Model Directory