Location within Rouville RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||June 14, 2000|
|• Mayor||Alain Ménard|
|• Federal riding||Chambly—Borduas|
|• Prov. riding||Iberville|
|• Total||62.90 km2 (24.29 sq mi)|
|• Land||62.78 km2 (24.24 sq mi)|
|• Density||160.8/km2 (416/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||34.1%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Marieville is a city in the Canadian province of Quebec. It is located within the Rouville Regional County Municipality in the Montérégie region about 30 kilometers east of Montreal. The population as of the Canada 2011 Census was 10,094.
In 1708, Sieur Claude de Ramezey obtain a parcel of land which was named the Monnoir manor. Population increased starting at around 1740. It became a parish in 1832 and officially an incorporated municipality in 1858 and later an incorporated city in 1905. In 2000, the parish of Sainte-Marie-de-Monnoir, which previously demerged from Marieville in 1855 was re-merged. Its main economic activity today is still agriculture.
Marieville is accessible via Quebec Autoroute 10, which runs from Montreal to Sherbrooke via Granby and Magog. Quebec Route 112 is a route that runs parallel to A-10 but through the municipality but continues north of Sherbrooke toward Thetford Mines. Quebec Route 227 is the secondary road that connects A-10 to the center of Marieville and runs south towards Champlain Lake and north towards Quebec Autoroute 20 near Sainte-Madeleine.
(R) Revised count - Statistics Canada - February 10, 2009.
Mother tongue language (2006)
Marieville has its own Christmas Market. There were two Christmas Markets so far in 2010 and 2011. The 2012 edition has already been announced. It also has its Public Market from June to October, since June 2012.
- Alain Ménard, mayor
- List of cities in Quebec
- CIT Chambly-Richelieu-Carignan, which provides commuter and local bus services
- Reference number 39032 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Marieville
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: CHAMBLY--BORDUAS (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Marieville, Quebec
- Ville de Marieville
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- Statistics Canada - Corrections and updates - February 10, 2009
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Marieville, Quebec
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marieville, Quebec.|