Marilena de Souza Chaui
She is the daughter of journalist Nicholas Alberto Chaui, of Arabic origin, and teacher Laura de Souza Chaui. She was married to the journalist José Augusto de Mattos Berlinck, with whom he had two sons - William Joseph and Luciana. Is currently married to Michael Hall, historian and professor at Unicamp.
Full Professor of Political Philosophy and History of Modern Philosophy in the University of São Paulo, having become master in 1967 (Merleau-Ponty and the critique of humanism). Received his doctorate in 1971 with "Introduction to Reading Spinoza", under the guidance of Professor Gilda de Mello e Souza Rocha. In 1977 became free teaching of Philosophy (The Rib of real: Spinoza and the issue of freedom) from the University of São Paulo.
His book "What is Ideology" was selected by the Ministry of Education and Culture of Brazil as a mandatory textbook in public schools, becoming thus a bestseller with over a hundred thousand copies sold, well above the average of sales not didactic books in Brazil.
She was Municipal Secretary of Culture of São Paulo, from 1989 to 1992, during the administration of Luiza Erundina (1988-1992). Remains attached to the Workers Party (PT) and considers that experience ahead of the Secretariat of Culture of the Municipality of São Paulo was of utmost importance to make it even more attuned to the reality and national problems.
She is the author of, among others,
- O que é Ideologia? (What is Ideology?)
- Escritos sobre a Universidade (Writings on University)
- Cultura e Democracia: o discurso competente e outras falas ( Culture and Democracy: The competent speech and other speeches )
- Da realidade sem mistério ao mistério do mundo: Espinosa (Spinoza), Voltaire e Merleau-Ponty (From the Reality without mysteries to the Mistery of the World: Spinoza, Voltaire and Merleau-Ponty)
- A nervura do real: Imanência e Liberdade em Espinosa ( The rib of the real: Immanence and Freedom in Spinoza )
- Espinosa e Política em Espinosa (Spinoza and Politics in Spinoza)
- Repressão Sexual (Sexual repression)
- Brasil: Mito Fundador e Sociedade Autoritária ( Brazil: Myth Founder and Authoritarian Society )
- Introdução à História da Filosofia (Introduction to the History of Philosophy)
- Convite à Filosofia (Invitation to Philosophy)
- Cidadania Cultural (Cultural citizenship)
- Simulacro e poder (Simulacrum and power)
|This biography of a Brazilian philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|