Marilyn Jaye Lewis
|Marilyn Jaye Lewis|
July 22, 1960 |
|Notable award(s)||Erotic Writer of the Year, U.K., 2001|
- 1 Career
- 2 Books
- 3 Footnotes
- 4 External links
Early career as a singer-songwriter
Lewis studied recording and audio engineering in New York City, after moving there from her home town of Columbus, Ohio in 1980. She worked in New York City as a singer-songwriter under the name Marilyn Jaye, and later under her married name, Marilyn Jaye Lewis, until 1994.
Writing and editing career
Lewis began writing erotica in the 1980s. Her first erotic stories were published in the early 1990s in queer zines such as Bad Attitude and Frighten the Horses , and in anthologies of queer and women's erotica. While continuing to write mostly queer-oriented fiction, she worked in 1996-97 as head writer for Dada House. While at Dada House, Lewis helped create RomAntics, a bisexual CD-ROM game that won the AVN award in January 1998 for Best Interactive CD-ROM - game. Entertainment Weekly singled out Dada House's erotic fiction series as the "best Web soap opera" in its roundup of "the 30 most beautiful and entertaining websites in the world".
In 1997, Lewis also produced a website, Other Rooms, featuring the work of other erotica writers. In 1998, Lewis launched a second erotica website, Marilyn's Room, which featured stories and interviews focusing on the art and literature end of the erotic spectrum, designed to appeal primarily to a female reader and listener base.
She went on to write several erotic romance novels as well as a collection of her short stories, Lust: Bisexual Erotica (Alyson Publications, 2004), and edited anthologies of erotic fiction, memoir, photography, and Yaoi. Lewis' own work has been translated into French, Italian, and Japanese.
- Neptune and Surf, Masquerade Books, 1999, ISBN 1-58419-001-9
- Lust: Bisexual Erotica, Alyson Publications, 2004, ISBN 1-55583-816-2
Erotic romance novels
- When Hearts Collide: An Erotic Romance, Magic Carpet Books, 2003, ISBN 0-9726339-1-X
- In the Secret Hours, Magic Carpet Books, 2003, ISBN 0-9726339-4-4
- When the Night Stood Still: An Erotic Romance, Magic Carpet Books, 2004, ISBN 0-9726339-7-9
Anthologies of erotic short fiction or novellas
- That's Amore!: Four Novellas of Erotic Romance, Magic Carpet Books, 2004, ISBN 0-9726339-9-5
- Hot Women's Erotica, Running Press, 2005, ISBN 1-56201-476-5
- Stirring Up a Storm: Tales of the Sensual, the Sexual, and the Erotic, Running Press, 2005, ISBN 1-56025-727-X
Anthologies of erotic photography
- The Mammoth Book of Illustrated Erotica, co-edited with Maxim Jakubowski, Running Press, 2002, ISBN 0-7867-0921-9
- The Mammoth Book of Erotic Photography, co-edited with Maxim Jakubowski, Edition Olms, 2004, ISBN 3-283-00431-5
- Zowie! It's Yaoi!: Western Girls Write Hot Stories of Boys' Love, Running Press, 2006, ISBN 1-56025-910-8
- Entangled Lives: Memoirs of 7 Top Erotica Writers, Alyson Publications, 2007, ISBN 1-55583-998-3
- Twilight of the Immortal, Anaphora Literary Press, CreateSpace, 2011, ISBN 1-4609-0412-5, ISBN 978-1-4609-0412-1