Marin Independent Journal
|Owner(s)||MediaNews Group, et al.|
|Founded||March 23, 1861|
|Headquarters||4000 Civic Center Dr #301
|Sister newspapers||San Jose Mercury News, Oakland Tribune, Contra Costa Times|
The Independent Journal was formed from the merger of the Marin Journal and the San Rafael Daily Independent in 1948. The weekly Journal, one of the state's oldest newspapers, had been established in 1861 as the Marin County Journal. The Journal was published in San Rafael on Saturdays by Jerome A. Barney. The Independent had been started by Harry Granice in 1900 as the weekly San Rafael Independent, which became a daily by 1903 under the management of his daughter, Celeste Granice Murphy. The merged paper was originally called the San Rafael Independent-Journal.
The "hot-tubber" incident
In 2002, former President George H. W. Bush described "American Taliban" John Walker Lindh as "some misguided Marin county hot-tubber." His comment prompted criticism among readers of the Marin Independent Journal, until Bush sent the paper a letter of apology:
- Call off the dogs, please. I surrender...I apologize. I am chastened and will never use 'hot tub' and 'Marin county' in the same sentence again.
Staff of the Marin Independent Journal have won the following recent awards:
2008 California Newspaper Publishers Association awards
Freedom of Information
- General Award - First place for Freedom of Information for battling in court for several years to get Marin County government to release county payroll information. The payroll data is available in a database at http://www.marinij.com/data 
- George Russell - First place for cartoon about the Marin County supervisors and Marin Clean Energy
- Alan Dep - Second place for an image featuring Mill Valley and Tiburon Little League all-stars reacting to a call at third base during a semi-finals game
2007 Associated Press News Executives Council awards
- Ryan Metcalfe - First place for the article Parent Trap
- Rick Polito - First place for the article Running Death Valley
- Josh Ruthnick - First place for the article Tour of California'
Spot News Coverage
- General Award - Second place for the article Powerful Punch
The Marin Independent Journal prices are: 75¢ daily, $1.25 Sunday.
- Advertise, Gallup Research - Media Usage 2004 and 2006, DataQuick Information Systems, from Marin Independent Journal website, retrieved 09.23.07
- James Munro-Fraser, History of Marin County, California, "History Of San Rafael Township, Part 1," 1880, accessed June 7, 2008
- California Newspaper Publishers Association, California Press Association Hall of Fame, "Justus F. Craemer, San Rafael Independent-Journal, Orange Daily News, 1886-1966", accessed June 6, 2008
- California Newspaper Publishers Association, California Press Association Hall of Fame, "Celeste Granice Murphy, The Sonoma Index-Tribune, 1882-1962 ", accessed June 6, 2008
- "From hot tub to hot water" | World news | guardian.co.uk
- 2007 Marin IJ earns top honor, five other awards in state newspaper competition
- PDF 2008 CNPA Award Winners
- 2007 APNEC Awards - Newswriting Competition
- 2007 APNEC Awards - Photo Competition